GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to this forum, So hello, looking into getting some new tires and lift. I have a 6 + 3 combo right know with some cooper 37s. But i want to go bigger. I want to put around a 40 inch tire. This is a 4wd 2002 gmc sierra half ton too. 16 inch wheels.

1. Do a 10 inch fts lift or a 12 inch fts to fit 40s ( keeping the body lift on)
2. Which tire do you suguset, Miles, sounds, cost, ect
3. The iroc 39.5x13.5 is pretty skinny i hear
4. The Trxus All terrains, do they were funny
5. The 42 inch Irocs how much bigger then 39.5 Irocs
6. Local shop said the MTZ 38s are about the same size as the 39.5 Irocs true

Thanks guys so main goal is To fit 40s with plently of room, which set up you recomend and what tire. :head:
If any one has pics of simular set up, be cool to post too. Sorry about any spelling errors to i suck at spelling.

Going to run uni ball and some cognito up front to.

·
Registered
604 Posts
40s fine. I was thinking about the 10" cognito with 3" BL on 41x14.5 iroks or some 38" baja claws.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the look of the Trxus STS tires, Do they ride okay any buddy kno, and whats the wear. Heard alot of mixed reviews.

·
bitter southern gun owner
1,142 Posts
well witha 40in tire specialy a irok if you offroad any and those tires bite you'll send cv parts flying

but ifs its just a DD truck id go with mtz ara the sts just b/c they'll last longer than a irok for a DD truck

for looks though iroks hands down

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot to say that it is my Daily Driver, Will the 12 plus 3 be street legal in Cali

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
I like the look of the Trxus STS tires, Do they ride okay any buddy kno, and whats the wear. Heard alot of mixed reviews.
The STS will balance out perfect for you and ride like glass EVERY time, especially the bias ply. You should also see about 60,000 miles if you rotate them properly. And your IFS parts will thank you tremendously for not getting the radials with those heavy ass steel belts. These newer GMs truly are built, LIKE A ROCK. Gonna look wicked sick bodacious bro :imo :rocking:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Had the STS's on my 01HD and loved them. Balanced and rode great.

·
Formerly whitetrash
1,630 Posts
The STS will balance out perfect for you and ride like glass EVERY time, especially the bias ply. You should also see about 60,000 miles if you rotate them properly. And your IFS parts will thank you tremendously for not getting the radials with those heavy ass steel belts. These newer GMs truly are built, LIKE A ROCK. Gonna look wicked sick bodacious bro :imo :rocking:
LOL!
What cowboy kyle is trying to say is that most people on here who have run those tires (myself included) had terrible shit luck with them. Balance poorly, don't ride smooth, loud, and don't last all that long. Overall, worst tires i've ever run. I'd stick with MTZs. STS suck dirty donkey dick :imo.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
I would keep what you got and just run 38"s! And upgrade the steering and everything else you can to to strenghin it up!

·
Registered
912 Posts
A buddy of mine just put a 12" FTS on his truck and he already has a 3" body lift. He fit 46" Baja Claws on it. The truck looks awesome. He still has to get some spacers for it to keep the tires from rubbing the shocks so we will see how much he has to trim after that but right now he is not rubbing at all. I am going to get some pictures sometime next week(hopefully) and I will post them up.

I would not recommend the STS at all. The same guy also ran a set of 39.5 STS bias plys and they rode like crap the entire time he had them and they were bald between 15-20000 miles.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha thanks so guess they are shitty tires, Any one ever run the 42/14/16 Iroc, my buddy keeps saying you get really good millage out of the Irocs. I dont belive him. What most people getting out of them. I want to go bigger then 38 i think because i have a 37 on it right know.

Is there any other tire 40 above that is good too, seem like most stop at 38 inch tires.

Thanks, louis

·
Registered
604 Posts
LOL!
What cowboy kyle is trying to say is that most people on here who have run those tires (myself included) had terrible shit luck with them. Balance poorly, don't ride smooth, loud, and don't last all that long. Overall, worst tires i've ever run. I'd stick with MTZs. STS suck dirty donkey dick :imo.

Yea, I was hopeing he wasnt serious. Super Swamper, bias & ride good should never be heard in the same sentence. Hell half the time there radials are out of round also!

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
A buddy of mine just put a 12" FTS on his truck and he already has a 3" body lift. He fit 46" Baja Claws on it. The truck looks awesome. He still has to get some spacers for it to keep the tires from rubbing the shocks so we will see how much he has to trim after that but right now he is not rubbing at all. I am going to get some pictures sometime next week(hopefully) and I will post them up.

I would not recommend the STS at all. The same guy also ran a set of 39.5 STS bias plys and they rode like crap the entire time he had them and they were bald between 15-20000 miles.

I wanna see that, 46's on a half ton with 15" of lift. His parts are gonna love that, kaaabbbbooooom

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What is the biggest size i can get in MTZs, if i run the 38 mtz, should i just do a 10 inch lift then. Does any of have pics of ether set up, thanks

·
Rollin' in the BIG HOG
1,316 Posts
The 38/15.50 is the biggest MTZ your gonna get. i would personally just get the 10" kit if you have no future plans of going bigger. If you do, go ahead and get the 12" kit. You'll be glad you did later. I know everyone is bad mouthing the STSs, but I'm gonna go against the grain. I had a set of 44/21/16.5 STSs on 16.5x14 Weld Sidewinders. I bought them mounted and balanced from National Tire and Wheel. They were balanced perfectly, rode very smooth and handled great. I was very happy with them other than the looks of the tread. They were by far the best riding 44"+ tire I've ever been around. I would definitely buy them from NTW though and be sure to have them mount and balance them. Regardless of that though, with you only having a 1/2 ton, I would stick with the 38/15.50 MTZs as well. For a daily driver, you will still need to do all the upgrades, like heim steering, cognito idler and pitman braces, and a custom idler housing/mounting brace. It would definitely be a good idea to find a 14 bolt 9.5" SF rear axle as well to replace your 10 bolt rear. i'll do what I can to help you out if you have any more questions.

·
4,725 Posts
I must have pretty good luck with swampers as mine have turned out exceptionally well in wear and ride.

You sound like you need a 15" lift and some 36's.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts