GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added 35" grapplers and soon will be adding another 6" of lift and goin to 37"s or 38"s.. the question is though,,, can i regear with 5.13's before i go to 37"s or will it be too much for the 35's i currently have?

·
Dbs>Bitches.
3,616 Posts
You'll be fine with 5.13 and 35"s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, bc my power and mileage has gone down the drain.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
What kind of driving do you typically do? 5.13 isn't too low for 35s for normal driving, but you will be running pretty high rpms on the highway and your mileage will suffer there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i drive roughly 5 miles a day, i know i need to regear for my trucks sake. i really just want to have the power to spin them in the mud, and i do some light crawling ocassionally.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
IMO i would go with 4.88's that way you arent too over geared with the 35's and you'll still be perfectly geared when you step up to 37's or 38's.

Im going to be swaping to 4.88's and i run 37x13.5x22 mud grapplers and right now it suffers big time in the mud with 4.10's

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
IMO i would go with 4.88's that way you arent too over geared with the 35's and you'll still be perfectly geared when you step up to 37's or 38's.

Im going to be swaping to 4.88's and i run 37x13.5x22 mud grapplers and right now it suffers big time in the mud with 4.10's

4.88s with 35's is a good time. Not too horrible on the highway with rpms

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think 5.13 is the way i'm leaning bc within the year i aim to have the 37's or 38's on. ALSO, has any one heard of the eaton E locker for the front end?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
ALSO, has any one heard of the eaton E locker for the front end?
No chance for the 8.25 front, it would spit aluminum chunks everywhere. Although the do make one for the AAM 9.25 found in the front of 2500+ Chevy/Dodges.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, is there a locker available for the 8.25 at all that wouldn't shred it? or a better option than stock?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
So, is there a locker available for the 8.25 at all that wouldn't shred it? or a better option than stock?
No, nothing is available for the 8.25 front except a stock open carrier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[/IMG]Thanks for the help.. Don't really need the locker, was thinking that i might as well put one in if it was an option once i get the gears done.

·
TCBCK
567 Posts
If its nothing but city driving yea, ever plan on long trips then hell no. My personal opinion is 35's with 4.56 is the best damn thing I’ve ever done city/hwy combined results based. I've lost about 1-2 mpg hwy but still 14-16 city. feels like a totally different truck man. 4.88 would have been great as well but don’t plan on steeping up in tire size. 5.13s :imo only for 38' + sizes

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Bad Ass Avalanche! :shake:

·
FoTfive'dpokinoutdaside
2,295 Posts
Avalanche looks good man.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
If its nothing but city driving yea, ever plan on long trips then hell no. My personal opinion is 35's with 4.56 is the best damn thing I’ve ever done city/hwy combined results based. I've lost about 1-2 mpg hwy but still 14-16 city. feels like a totally different truck man. 4.88 would have been great as well but don’t plan on steeping up in tire size. 5.13s :imo only for 38' + sizes
For me its opposite. I'm running 5.13s on 33s and city is what kills my mpg's. I averaged 12.5 mpg's mixed with the 4.8 and on highway I'd say its around 14ish. However, the 3200 stall probably doesn't help the city either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not lookin for a huge gain in mileage. I know a 6000# truck with 35" tires isn't goin to be good on anything but sucking gas. I average 8 mpg right now. 10 would be nice. I really just want to be able to put some raw chevy power to the ground..

·
TCBCK
567 Posts
For me its opposite. I'm running 5.13s on 33s and city is what kills my mpg's. I averaged 12.5 mpg's mixed with the 4.8 and on highway I'd say its around 14ish. However, the 3200 stall probably doesn't help the city either.
yea its the converter but im sure its worth it :hmm:

I'm not lookin for a huge gain in mileage. I know a 6000# truck with 35" tires isn't goin to be good on anything but sucking gas. I average 8 mpg right now. 10 would be nice. I really just want to be able to put some raw chevy power to the ground..

I forgot to take into account those avalanches are heavy as shit...but 8 mpg? even with those heavy ass mud grapplers that is crazy! Cancel my last statement and look into 4.88 if you stay with 35's, ever seriously plan on going bigger 5.13s bruh :imo

EDIT: BB tune as well

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Hmmmm I'm ordering gears this week. Running 37's. I was gonna go 4.88 cause I do a lot of highway, but in a year I'll be graduated and it'll all be city. I'm thinking 5.13 now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts