GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the background.

I recently purchased a 2011 Silverado single cab long bed. It came already with 2 inch blocks under the leaf springs in the back and a 2.5 inch leveling kit on top of the strut.

The truck is 2 inches away from being level. I would rather add 2 more inches up front instead of taking off the 2 inch blocks from the rear.

I talked to my mechanic and he said that it would be fine to get a second leveling kit as long as I bought the one that goes under the strut.

Is this safe for your truck?

All in all I would have a 2.5 leveling kit on top of the strut as well as a 2 inch leveling kit under the strut.

Please let me know. I am new to lifting truck.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
Stacking leveling kits is one of the worst ideas Ive ever heard. Theres a reason why suspension manufacturers dont offer 4.5" "leveling" kits.

Also, you need a new mechanic.

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
No. At this point, you need an actual 4" + lift kit. Or you can just remove the rear block.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,554 Posts
I would suggest not taking anything to that mechanic again. But if you choose to listen to him you should be keeping him busy for a while.

Anything more than 2.5" of level is not ideal. Your angles will be only get worse to the point of excessive wear

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
Just in case everyone else didn't cover it good enough for you, yes, stacked leveling kits are bad. No, you shouldn't do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand that stacking leveling kits is bad. And by that I am guessing you mean putting two on top of each other?

These are two different type of leveling kits. a spacer that goes on top of the strut and a spacer that goes on the bottom of the strut.

Is it bad to have one of each?

These two leveling kits will not be touching.

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
Doesn't matter if they are touching or not. The point is you will have too much lift for your suspension to handle. The 2.5" you have now is ideal, you can get by with 3", but anything over that is asking for problems.

Reactions: blakerz808

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
I understand that stacking leveling kits is bad. And by that I am guessing you mean putting two on top of each other?

These are two different type of leveling kits. a spacer that goes on top of the strut and a spacer that goes on the bottom of the strut.

A level is a level. Doesnt matter if it goes on top or bottom of the strut.

·
cunts
2,743 Posts

I understand that you are new, but "stacking" is referring to using two (2) different spacers to achieve higher lift. Doesn't matter if one is on top and the other on the bottom.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, thank you everyone.

I have 31" tires on the truck now and my ultimate goal is just 33" tires with a leveled truck.

Can I take the 2 inch blocks off the back and still fit the 33" tires with just a 2.5 inch level in the front?

·
GMFS Member
663 Posts
Okay, thank you everyone.

I have 31" tires on the truck now and my ultimate goal is just 33" tires with a leveled truck.

Can I take the 2 inch blocks off the back and still fit the 33" tires with just a 2.5 inch level in the front?
Yes..thats what about 90% of members with leveled trucks do.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
no it's not bad to have one of each. but in excess of 3" of total lift it is

on my truck i have a 1" spacer at the bottom of the strut that nets me 2" of lift because the ratio is 2:1, i also have a .5" spacer at the top of my strut that nets me .5" because at the top of the strut the ratio is 1:1

=2.5" of level (lift)

do not exceed that imo

·
Registered
876 Posts
Get lift spindles if 2wd.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,554 Posts
no it's not bad to have one of each. but in excess of 3" of total lift it is

on my truck i have a 1" spacer at the bottom of the strut that nets me 2" of lift because the ratio is 2:1, i also have a .5" spacer at the top of my strut that nets me .5" because at the top of the strut the ratio is 1:1

=2.5" of level (lift)

do not exceed that imo
Your math doesn't work there. If you have 1" bottom and .5" top spacer you have 3". The top is not a different ratio. It is all 2:1 top or bottom.

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
Your math doesn't work there. If you have 1" bottom and .5" top spacer you have 3". The top is not a different ratio. It is all 2:1 top or bottom.
Wrong. Unless my .5" on top is actually .25" which is possible. I didn't measure it.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
You could always do a 1.5" body lift for tire clearance if rubbing is a big problem. I wouldn't level over 2.5". The entire meaning of level kit is to level the truck with the factory rear height, not lift the truck all the way around.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,554 Posts
Wrong. Unless my .5" on top is actually .25" which is possible. I didn't measure it.
Let's think logically. How is one end of the strut 2:1 where as the other end is 1:1. What is different? The ratio 2:1 is because of its placement on the lca. So no matter where you put the spacer it will have the same ratio. Unless math and science are black magic and unicorns are real

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
Last sentence in your post is true

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
why stop at 2? i would put 3 on just to make sure the front is higher

1 - 20 of 26 Posts