GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bigger, Longer, and UnCut
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The house I just moved into has a pretty steep driveway and my bike gets the garage, so I have been parking my truck on the incline and the parking brake is barely there at all. It rolls back a little after I apply the brake.
Is this bad for my tranny?

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
Something about a pin that engages when you shift into park...

I know sometimes when I park on an incline and throw it in park with my foot on the brake... it rolls back a little... then when I shift back to drive, I gotta wrestle with the shifter and it makes a CLUNK like it's stuck.....

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
my parents have done it for 15 years with various vehicles...no probs so far. my mom "uses" her ebrake...but all that entails for her is pulling it up like 3 clicks, so the brakes are holding absolutely no weight...

·
Registered
192 Posts
i used to do it going to visit my grandmother, but that wasn't an every day thing. i didnt notice any issues taking it out of park or when it went forward or backward, you should be ok.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Just tighten the parking brake up. You "could" get torque lock, making it difficult to shift from park. Chance of damage is slight, but you could be stuck in park, depending on the steepness of the incline.

·
Bigger, Longer, and UnCut
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its pretty steep, and it is kinda hard to shift out of park sometimes. I guess I need to do some work on it and get the parking brake working right.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Its pretty steep, and it is kinda hard to shift out of park sometimes. I guess I need to do some work on it and get the parking brake working right.
Get the brake right, and you'll be fine. It will always roll slightly, but these trannies need all the help they can get.

·
GMFS Sr. Canadian Member
4,519 Posts
yeah, get that brake working for sure. my mom got torque locked once, i had to shift it out of park for her :pow:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts