GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would running staggered tires on my 4x4 cause any problems when I'm in 2wd? I plan to only run them in the summer and put my 245/70/17 winter tires back on in the winter.

The difference in height is only around 5/8" but they are 285mm wide in the rear versus 265mm for the front.

Let me know so I don't break anything.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
no that will be fine. prolley wont be too bad in 4wd as well. thats a very minimal difference, the biggest thing that will cause a difference is the actual sidewall height but even then it shouldnt be a big difference in size.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no that will be fine. prolley wont be too bad in 4wd as well. thats a very minimal difference, the biggest thing that will cause a difference is the actual sidewall height but even then it shouldnt be a big difference in size.
Awesome thanks for the info. Like I said the difference in height is only about 5/8 of an inch between the two. I knew a guy in high school that was running staggered tires on his 4x4 Ranger and ended up blowing the transfer case or tranny. But I'm pretty sure he had a bigger difference in size between front and rear and I think he may have used the 4x4.

·
35's > MPG
460 Posts
I think so haha. Why not?
the question is why would you? I could understand staggered fitment on a g-coupe or something similar, but what would be the point on your truck? It's your truck but you might consider why you don't see more people doing it.

*P.S. The whole reason for staggered fitment is because the front end of almost every car on the road can't handle the same oversized-spec (exaggerated lip) wheel as the rear. As I said before, i'm sure you would see more people running the same wheels front and back on their g37's if they could...it just doesn't fit.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wheels I got are 8.5" front and 10" in the rear and they came with the tires mounted. I see a lot of the 2wd guys running the same combo so i was wondering if its okay for 4wd.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
5/8 an inch wont cause a problem in 4wd. if it was over really 2 inches then it would be an issue. what happens is it bascially gears your front and rear end seperatly, which puts alot of strain back into the drivetrain thru the driveshafts and your t-case will epxlode, might even bust the fron shaft with it too. its kinda fun to watch happen, t-cases sound cool ehen they explode and crack down the middle in half. haha :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts