GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2006 Silverado ECSB 4x4 4.8. I love the truck but i have found a 2005 Silverado CCSB 4x4 2500HD 6.0 that I really like. I have no idea what kind of trade I can get and that dictates whether or not I would get it. I just need to know if the 2500HD is something I would be happy enough with to justify going through the mess of trading. The 2500HD is a manual transmission. In the ad they say 6-speed but my searches are showing that was only an option on 8.1 and Duramax. Looking forward to everyone's opinion. By the way my current truck has 149K with a little rust starting under the back doors and the 2500 has 101k and is very clean.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just talked to a friend that works at the dealership and he says that it isnt sold. It said sold on their website but he says that they just moved it to another lot about an hour away. I guess each lot has a different website so it shows sold. Told be to let him know and he would go get it if I was interested. Just have no idea what kind of trade they will offer. They are asking $14900

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it was automatic it wouldnt worry me, but I just dont know how hard it would be to find a 5 speed. Even a 6 speed manual seems easier to find.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Your current truck paid off? Are you financing the new one?

Personally I wouldn't want to finance a 10yr old truck with 100k on it, at least not much financing anyway.

Your best bet is to talk straight up deal with them on the truck, no trade. Once you get that figured out say 'ok, how much will you give me for my truck?' If they back track and try to rework all the numbers walk away. I see too many people get sucked in because the dealership offered them 'a smoking deal on my trade-in' when in reality all the dealership is doing is putting the money back in on the backside of the deal.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
JMO, worth what you paid for it, but I would not get a 2500HD unless it had the Duramax in it. Any HP gains you get from the 6.0 will likely be offset by the weight of the truck, and your 4.8 will get better mileage than the 6.0.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Getting a Duramax would be ideal but I cant justify the prices they are asking. 20k plus for a 10 year old truck with 170k just isnt in the cards

·
Registered
366 Posts
JMO, worth what you paid for it, but I would not get a 2500HD unless it had the Duramax in it. Any HP gains you get from the 6.0 will likely be offset by the weight of the truck, and your 4.8 will get better mileage than the 6.0.
I would rather have a 2500 gas for towing then a 1500 around the 10,000 pound mark. Also I would prefer a F250 rclb solid axle 4x4 over a IFS 4x4 if I was into wheeling, wanted a new truck, and I would skip the weight penalty of a diesel.

If I towed stupid heavy then a diesel is worth the price of admission. Other then that I know plenty of people who have a crazy love hate with them. Love them to tow, hate the repair and or maintenance bills, hate the new diesels mpg's, but love the towing power.

You can only define best under narrow circumstances. Other then that advantages in one area turn into dis-advantages in others.

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
Dnw to wheel any diesel.

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably just going to keep my 1500. I have put 40k miles on it in 3 years and it has been pretty bullet proof. Everyone talks bad about the 4.8 but I like it just fine. As far as the diesels my uncle has 3 Duramaxs and they are great for pulling but get one off pavement and it is stuck. I have had my 1500 in some bad spots and it just keeps going. I dont know if the diesels just have so much more torque or what but I still love them, just dont have the need to justify the price.

·
jewish misanthropist
486 Posts
Probably just going to keep my 1500. I have put 40k miles on it in 3 years and it has been pretty bullet proof. Everyone talks bad about the 4.8 but I like it just fine. As far as the diesels my uncle has 3 Duramaxs and they are great for pulling but get one off pavement and it is stuck. I have had my 1500 in some bad spots and it just keeps going. I dont know if the diesels just have so much more torque or what but I still love them, just dont have the need to justify the price.
I think that's definitely your best bet. Unless you're going serious hauling/towing a 2500HD isn't really worth it.

And 4.8's are pretty badass, check this out http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/

They strapped 76 mm twins to a 4.8L truck motor (with few minor upgrades) and it made 1200 hp.

The motor survived more than 60 runs, the majority of them more than 1,000 hp. We hammered this motor like we stole it, with repeated back-to-back pulls

1 - 15 of 15 Posts