GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I am unable to comply
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a look today at my rear pumpkin and it looks kinda wet on the bottom where the bolts are. I could not see any drops on the ground though. I checked the bolts and they seem tight. I also checked the level by putting my finger in it and I could feel the oil.
I noticed it on some other trucks too that I saw on the road.
Is this normal or is it maybe leaking?

·
Banned
487 Posts
Slow leaking.. It could be the cover or it could be the yoke. See if it looks like the oil is running down the bottom of the pumpkin from the yoke, then dripping off at the cover.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Like nastyGMC said check the yoke...usually a little leak there but even then if your level is good and it's not dripping there isn't anthing to worry about. Diff fluid should be changed every 12-20k miles (not totally sure on the NBS maintenance routine) so if your close to that it might be a good time to do it and get a new seal in anyhow.

Cameron

·
I am unable to comply
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that something I can do myself? Or should I bring it maybe to a Firestone and tell them I will need the friction modifier also for my Auburn. I never changed the rear axle fluid myself. I saw there is a drain plug. But I wouldn't know how to fill it back up.
Would GM add the right friction modifier if I tell them I need it for the Auburn LSD? Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts