GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've noticed that the shift from 1st to second gear is slipping and it's starting to worry me. When I do a 30 punch and it downshifts to 1st, it doesn't feel like it's laying down the power like it used to... What would this mean in the way of my transmission, does the whole thing have to be replaced when it gets worse or can u just replace the problematic gear? All the other gears still shift solid.

Let me know what you think
-John

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also have an 05' Sierra with a 5.3L and the 4L60E. I was at 30,000 miles and my tranny wasn't slipping but it did make a quiet squeal always from first to second and sometimes stay consistant once in third. It did this since the day I bought the truck new off the lot. I didn't notice it until soon after though. Anyway, I took my truck into the dealer before the warranty expired at 36,000 miles and told them about the squeal. They drove it around the block a few times and heard it. Spent a few days trying to figure out what the problem was but no luck. So, they replaced the entire tranny with a brand new unit from GM. The truck still has the squeal but it's less noticeable and only occurs every so often now. Anyway, point of the story is to take your truck in before the warranty is up and have them look at it. May get a new one like I did.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Warranty may be up since he's past 3 years, but he may have it extended. A tranny diagnostic place. A lot of them out there that do it.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Warranty may be up since he's past 3 years, but he may have it extended. A tranny diagnostic place. A lot of them out there that do it.
I have an extended warranty from an outside company, I'll check into it when I go back home this weekend. They've helped me out alot, probably saved me $500-$600 so far.

I was just asking because I heard alot about these trannys going out, so I figured someone has been in the same position as I am and could let me know what they did to fix it.

-John

·
Registered
807 Posts
same thing happened to my 4l60e...my truck is down for now(doing an 80e conversion) and when my tranny started fuckin up it would from 1-2 it would take forever inbetween gears. about you thinkin its not laying down the power it used to might be a thought because your scared your tranny is fucked up more than it is really not laying it down. and if you do those 30 punches(chevy sweet spot) alot thats probly why its fucked up. i mean some guys baby their light duty trucks w/60e trannies and they still break them too, its just a poor design and not very reliable:imo.

·
Registered
807 Posts
oh, yea...when your goin about 30-35 manually select "2" on your shifter colum and slowly ease on the gas pedal till it gets to about 3/4 then stop. im saying this because when my tranny was fucked up i figured out that it was
2nd gear that was messed up and that it wasnt goin 1-2-3-4 it was goin
1-3-4 and skipping 2nd which was the long pause between 1-3(thought was
2nd) because the trans was tryin to get 2nd then just went to 3rd but it felt and sounded like normal 2nd gear. so when you select "2", if your truck goes normal when you ease on the gas your 2nd is fine. if it sounds like its reving while in gear and your truck isnt going then theres your problem...

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh, yea...when your goin about 30-35 manually select "2" on your shifter colum and slowly ease on the gas pedal till it gets to about 3/4 then stop. im saying this because when my tranny was fucked up i figured out that it was
2nd gear that was messed up and that it wasnt goin 1-2-3-4 it was goin
1-3-4 and skipping 2nd which was the long pause between 1-3(thought was
2nd) because the trans was tryin to get 2nd then just went to 3rd but it felt and sounded like normal 2nd gear. so when you select "2", if your truck goes normal when you ease on the gas your 2nd is fine. if it sounds like its reving while in gear and your truck isnt going then theres your problem...
alright, I did this and 2nd gear is still there, when I barely get on it it moves immediately and so on throughout the throttle... I think it's the 'clutch pack' that's going out, cause it's slipping between 1st and 2nd gear shifts, but everything else is good and strong

·
Registered
807 Posts
ok, thats good. but i noticed before my 2nd was gone if i went WOT between 35-65(where WOT will shift to 2nd as the lowest gear) i noticed it would catch fine at first then after about 2 seconds it would slip alot and go
6000rpm instead of the 4000rpm it was at while rising up then it would just go back to 4000rpm...so basically it caught, slipped, then caught again. and it was all downhill from there. i wouldnt try it goin too fast so you dont bounce rev limiter i did mine at 40mph...

·
nytahoeon23's
1,147 Posts
my tranny went last week with 28000 not doing anything went to make a pass on the high way at 55 and no 3 or 4 had to drive home in 2nd well any way i have a 03 5.3 tahoe

·
Redistributing The Wealth
435 Posts
Wow, seems like I've been alittle bit luckier with my tranny than you guys have. My warrantee expired at 75k and now im at 100 k and it still runs strong. Best thing to do is get the extended warrantee.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
yes, doing a WOT 3-1 downshift @30-35 mph is not to healthy on a 700R-4 or 4l60E. I fucked up many 700's in my old 1988 Camaro IROC Z28. The 2nd gear band that clamps down around the input drum and the clutch pack take a beating. This is why many install the vett servo to aid in this problem. But still those "chevy sweet spots" down shifts are deadly. Okay once in a while but on a reguler basies no good. Good luck!

Mr. 960
-John[/QUOTE]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts