GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a A/C comp. today im not sure if it is a york it came off a 1970 Ford Thunderbird, on the clutch it has the ford logo, i payed 35. is 2-V york better? or which clutch is better to use for the york i have a 4.3 obs

·
i always catch you hatin'
606 Posts
gimme a picture or do research
X2 i couldnt tell you without being able to see it....however being off a 70's ford product it most likely is, there are some really nice picture of yorks in the york thread, take a look you should be able to tell their shape is fairly unique compared to other compressors

·
Bagged and Bodydropped
1,750 Posts
hmmm, that is not a 209 or 210... I don't know what that is, unless its an old 210 that I have never seen before.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like it in some parts but i dont knw either its really heavy, im going to go change it for another one they have of a 81 ford granada is a 2-v

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
it looks like a tecumseh, similar to the york but differnet mounting hole & the clutch mounting holes are different.

·
fab in the lab
225 Posts
thats correct, its a tecumseh. very similar to the York as it has internal oiling. it also has a cast iron case as is way heavy compared to the York. Im not sure if the oiling holes are the same but they can be blocked easily with a tap and a plug.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it is really heavy im going to go change it for another one hopefully it is the right one.

·
fab in the lab
225 Posts
look for one with an aluminum case. also look for one with fittings on the top that bolt on with small bolts. two small bolts on the inlet and two small bolts on the outlet. generally Ford trucks from the 70s and chrysler and jeep vehicles will have what you need.

To make the inlet and outlet tubes you simply cut a pair of flat plates with those holes in them and weld on pipe to adapt to pipe threads and whatever line your puttimg on. 1/2" pipe threads is good. I get a nipple from HomeDepot and weld it onto a flange then use the original high pressure gasket.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How would i set up the york to run to 2 tanks? or is only one tank needed?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i would still use the same setup with the unloader w/ pressure switch ?

·
(o Y O)
331 Posts
im running that same compressor. its the same shit as a 210 just iron and a lil fatter. but the oilin holes and everyting else are the same. the pulley and mounting bracket off my 210 fits it too.

i love it, thanks waylayed!

·
fab in the lab
225 Posts
The York is so fast you can run one tank if you like. Most prefer two to have reserve to play a little. The way I set mine up was like this...

First I had no tank, the frame was the air tank and I guess it was about 8 to 10 gallons of air. Running a pressure switch that came on at 145 and cut out at 175. while driving the compressor would come on and run for 8 seconds, thats all the time it needs to get the pressure back up. I had a check valve and an inline oiler.

I also ran 2 viar electrics, small ones someone gave me I think they were 380 or something. They were on relays and had a pressure switch that came on when the pressure dropped below 90 psi and went back off at 120 psi. These two compressors were just backup in case the York couldnt keep up while I was idling. plus if the York and/or one of the Viar comps died I could still get home.

I dragged little holes in the frame so you could hear it leaking all the time... good times!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im about to start buyn the things i need. im lost on one part what kind of lines would i use from the york to the unloader? also to connect the tanks together what would i use lines or just fittings? Would i still use the same unloader. i have 2 9 gallon tanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Found my answers i forgot i read this last time

Compressor parts:
York 210
Clutch, single or dual V-belt or serpentine
Tube-O fitting to 1/2" NPT (Kilby's Rotolock fittings) or Flange fittings.

Plumbing:
Check valve (i.e. "one-way valve") with 1/8" NPT unloader connection,Grainger 5X781
Water/oil separator 1/2" ports (holds more water)
Leader hose. Depends what you want to run. I have used Just the factory A/c line or you can get Stainless braided lines. Just makes sure it can take some heat.
Preassure switch Pressure Range 100-200 PSI with unloader Adjustablegrainger #2DC09
Various fittings and bushings. (hardware store)

Electrical
30/40amp relay
Switch to what ever your fancy light up what ever you want.
14-12 ga wire nothing really to heavy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts