GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

Registered
1993 K1500 Suburban
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
on my 1993 K1500 Burb. I have zero experience in this kind of swap. Have replaced a few gas engines with rebuilds but this is a totally different animal. That said, it is a lot of money. I do think a person gets what they pay for, I dunno.

I'm sure it is these people seem legit and came highly recommended.

Registered
for that much you can build you a 454 with a supercharger kick azz Performabuilt tranny standalone tranny controller and EFI. With money left over to pimp out the inside, including audio.... maybe even a lift kit if you wanted...

30k can do a lot in a 93 full size anything....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Registered
Yow. That is a lot for a frankenstein truck... And at the end of the day, you have a 40 yo burb with a 20 yo used drivetrain. And even with $10k for the parts truck, it's not gonna be low miles at current used prices.

This is the sort of project where you are either loaded, and tell the guy to get it done, or you do it yourself , because that's stupid money for a vehicle that, when it's completed, will still be regularly in the shop because everything else is worn out.

And stuff like
$600 for fluids? MAYBE if everything is Amsoil, more likely they get everything from Walmart...
$190 for paint? They are just going to spray bomb the engine, trans and any fab work to the frame & tunnel.

They are even jacking you for the motor mounts:

Edit:
And there's a whole lot of "figure out X"... It comes across as they haven't done this kind of project before. Plan for that estimate to be significantly below the final tab, and for everything to not work exactly right, right away.

Reactions: Peewee0413

Registered
I mean do you think people's time is free? There's a lot of hours that will be going into that swap and that $30k ESTIMATE is going to turn into $50k+ very fast.
Oh definitely agreed. They will milk the crap out of those man hours.. Custom costs, and even legit businesses knows it...

The great white Canadian
If it's a reputable shop there won't be much "milking", but fabrication takes time. Especially if you want it done right.

Registered
Might be somewhat cheaper and less hassle to buy an already made Duraburb... It should have all the little bugs worked out/known and you can test drive it up front.

Registered
Lol at anyone saying the shop is going to milk the hours in that estimate. If anything I think it鈥檚 way too optimistic about the hours. When I think about it in terms of man days, and the fact that most of this is not a one man job, they have less than two weeks with two men to get this job done from the time the trucks roll in the shop until you鈥檙e driving down the street.

Good shop or not, this isn鈥檛 a swap that happens anywhere with a ton of frequency. There probably aren鈥檛 many shops that have done this more than a few times. The whole job is mating things that the factory never envisioned to be together and it鈥檚 way more involved than a LS swap where at this point anyone with two hours to kill on the internet can order everything you need to make it bolt in affair. So yeah, there鈥檚 going to be a fair amount of 鈥渇igure it out鈥 that has to be done. That could be both research and also trial and error.

so like others said, expect that cost to be way more in the end. If you鈥檙e lucky enough to have a large sum of fuck you money laying around then go for it. Otherwise, take the TMAN route and diy this thing.

Registered
Personally I think the hours are about right. There are write-ups on how to do this exact swap on Dieselplace.com and a couple people are still on the site to offer specific advice, so there is less "figuring" than you might think.

I have heard not so great things about the Mishimoto radiator for the diesels also.

When I did my swap I bought the donor vehicle from Copart.com and I paid a lot more to get the LBZ because I wanted the 6 speed transmission and I would have had a lot more work to put something newer than that into my 2003 Suburban. $11,000 for the complete donor vehicle, If I went to a LLY or LB7 I could have gotten the truck for half of that.

I did my complete swap in 9 days. (5 full and 4 after work) 1 day was just taking the lift off of the donor vehicle and putting it on my truck and 1 full day and 4 partial days were just fighting stupid issues I didn't plan right for the fuel system. (the newer model suburban has 2 fuel tanks) If I had to do it again I am pretty sure 4 days total. No lift in my driveway.

You would be money ahead to use a newer 2000-2006 suburban. If you use a 2000- 2002 Suburban stick with the LB7. 2003-2006 I would go LLY or LBZ. That way the electronics mate up easier.

Check out Dieselplace.com in the Frankenstein section.

Registered
Lol at anyone saying the shop is going to milk the hours in that estimate. If anything I think it鈥檚 way too optimistic about the hours. When I think about it in terms of man days, and the fact that most of this is not a one man job, they have less than two weeks with two men to get this job done from the time the trucks roll in the shop until you鈥檙e driving down the street.

Good shop or not, this isn鈥檛 a swap that happens anywhere with a ton of frequency. There probably aren鈥檛 many shops that have done this more than a few times. The whole job is mating things that the factory never envisioned to be together and it鈥檚 way more involved than a LS swap where at this point anyone with two hours to kill on the internet can order everything you need to make it bolt in affair. So yeah, there鈥檚 going to be a fair amount of 鈥渇igure it out鈥 that has to be done. That could be both research and also trial and error.

so like others said, expect that cost to be way more in the end. If you鈥檙e lucky enough to have a large sum of fuck you money laying around then go for it. Otherwise, take the TMAN route and diy this thing.
How many LS you done?

Super Moderator
Seams low. Duraburb incorporated conversations start at 45k, Duramax specialties are over 30k as well. but there's a few things that seam off on the quote. Stand alone harness and tunes at 1500 a piece seams wrong. When I was looking into stand alone harnesses 1500 was the cost for tunes and harness. 1500 for tunes is flash scan and tune prices if you send the ecm off with the harness you shouldn't need to purchase the hardware. Tunes for my 67 conversion were 600 bucks, last lml I did was 650 so they seam to keep going up. The donor truck estimate doesn't make much sense, wrecked donors can be found for as low as 1500 and Running and driving donors wouldn't be that cheap.

Source: I build one and currently building one. I have north of 60k into my 67 build all in pretty much all diy. Trying to do the blazer for less but I think even diy you would be hard pressed to do it for less then 10k

Registered
I don't get the Dmax swap...Can anyone tell me why someone would spend this much on this?

Registered
Why would anyone spend x amount on bagging their truck? Because they want too...
touch茅...Hey look I got a diesel in my burb..
hey look, my bumper drags the ground and makes sparks lol....

Registered
Some people have tiny dicks and need to show it
maybe...

But not all people who mod have tiny peter problems.. Some things yes for sure, Not sure dmax in a burb is a tiny peter thing. Just an expensive mod I don't understand. lol. for 30k you can get Steve Morris or others to build you a beast of an engine....Why put a dmax in a burb for 30k...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts