GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
inorder to go a little bit cheaper for a lift...could i switch to coil springs...which should add about 2 inches in the front and then get 2 inch coil spring spacers on top of that and then a 4 inch block in the back and then prob a 3 inch body lift for a chaper aproach to around 6 or 7 inches

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
You already have coil springs. If you're talking about "lifted" coil springs to replace your stock coil springs, they won't work along with a 2" spacer. The truck wouldn't be alignable and you'd have no droop travel at all. It would be like cranking a 4wd truck's torsion bars 4".

·
droppin loads
3,883 Posts
Alden, his rig is 4wd.

That being said, for the front I would start off with some Ford keys followed by coil spacers and lift shackles. That should be good for about 5". Then for the rear just replace the 2" rear block with a 5.5" block to level it out. Slap on a body lift and your sitting at 8" of lift.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Alden, his rig is 4wd.

That being said, for the front I would start off with some Ford keys followed by coil spacers and lift shackles. That should be good for about 5". Then for the rear just replace the 2" rear block with a 5.5" block to level it out. Slap on a body lift and your sitting at 8" of lift.
How could he run coil spacers? You just said he has a 4wd. I think you're getting something mixed up but ford keys and coil spacers won't work on the same truck
Coil Spacers-Coil springs
Ford Keys-Torsion Bar system

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Alden, his rig is 4wd.
My bad.

It wouldn't be cost effective to swap torsion bars for coils or coil-overs. You'll have to modify the lower a-arm to accept the coil and you'll have to fabricate a bucket on your frame for the coil to insert into. Even after all of this work, you'll still be sitting at the same height as you started with torsion bars.

If you're looking for a cheap route, you're stuck. The cheapest way to run 5" of lift is by cranking the torsion bars and running a 3" body lift.

If you're looking for anything over 5" of lift, you have to fork over the money to buy a real suspension lift.

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
shackles are only in the rear on the leaf springs. Front is the tb and it needs a lift. BL and Ford keys are a place to start, but it'll probably end up with a 6" suspension kit someday becuase as we all know height is addicting.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Mark is dead on with what he said. Ford keys+coil spacers= impossible.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
i happend to find it pretty amusing.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
kyle help me out here, I know you're viewing.
:rofl2: I posted before I even caught that.

Id just replace the shocks with crankable coilovers for a Civic or something while keeping the torsion bars, should be good for like 6"s of lift on its own. For the back Id just body lift the bed to make it match the front.

·
droppin loads
3,883 Posts
Id just replace the shocks with crankable coilovers for a Civic or something while keeping the torsion bars, should be good for like 6"s of lift on its own. For the back Id just body lift the bed to make it match the front.
damn, I like your ideas even better, would be cheaper too I think. you've really been doing your fab homework. :rocking:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok but in all seriousness...is it possible to get around 5 inches with out spening big bucks...and if so about how much would it cost

·
Registered
999 Posts
how about a tapered body lift? lower lift in the front mount, gradually increasing in height to the rear mount.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
how about a tapered body lift? lower lift in the front mount, gradually increasing in height to the rear mount.
Just from what i've seen the body lines wouldn't match up too well. A guy on my baseball team has a 3" body lift on his bed and nothing up front and I don't see how you could have a tapered body lift and get the body lines to flow. Even with a gradual body lift it would probably cost too much to get perfect

Also, touche Dougy

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
ok but in all seriousness...is it possible to get around 5 inches with out spening big bucks...and if so about how much would it cost
Yes! Like I said above, a 3" body lift and a 2" torsion bar crank will give you exactly 5" of lift. It costs nothing to crank the bolt on a torsion bar key and a body lift is around $320+install.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Yes, you can crank the front 2" and get a body lift. Anything more than 2" you'll have to either buy some 3" knuckles(I think Rough Country makes some but they're like $500), or go to a 6" lift.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts