GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Snooby Doo
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rant:

i went to http://www.donniesforeigncar.com/ today to ask about installing my drop kit for me...

parts to be used are
3" drop spindles
2" hangers
2" shackles
shocks
and shock extenders

***LABOR QUOTE***

$85 an hour on the labor
spindles - 4 hours
hangers - 2 hours
shackles - 2 hours
shock extenders - .5 hours
shocks - .5 hours
alignment - $79.99
misc shop supplies $17.75

total = $971.81

just for the install, all the parts total out to $729 shipped. there aint no fucking way imma spend a grand just for the install. (if imma spend 2 grand to lower im truck the bish better be layin frame!)

i was thinking $300-$400 would have been a fair price for install but a grad is a bit much for me. how fucking hard would this shit be to do myself? i have a friend who is a boat mechanic so he knows what he is doing with tools, and i could get a few more friends to beat on the spindles..

shit, for that much money, ill drive down to the Laffy crew and let you guys do the work for me, how much would you charge? :pissed: :nono: :banghead: :crap: :crap: :crap:

i went to a spring shop last week, they said $175 to install the shackles and hanger but they wouldnt do the spindles...

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
the hours seem pretty fair, plus the fact that is what shops are charging for work 85hr, especially for custom work and lowering, non OEM stuff. But its not that hard of work to do, just make sure you do know what you are doin, or meet up with some one on here like you mentioned.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
if you have basic knowledge of what your working with and the tools the things you have to install are pretty the easiest items to install if you have the time. all the parts you have ordered are pretty straight forward with instructions

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
uhh do it your self? I probably saved $2,000 alone just installing my airbag shit, taking it out and installing my spindles. Now I just have to get my peice aligned. When I did all this I didn't know wtf I was doing. Now I could probably do a whole 5/8 drop on my truck in 1 day.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
No offense...but you don't have a lot of room to complain about how long it will/supposedly will take them if your not willing/unable to do it yourself :imo

Seriously though...do it yourself, those things are not very difficult, expecially with some friends and a 3 day weekend.

·
tuckin
1,044 Posts
I'll bag your truck for 2756, and build ya a frame to lay body on anything up to 22" for 4000..

·
Snooby Doo
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No offense...but you don't have a lot of room to complain about how long it will/supposedly will take them if your not willing/unable to do it yourself :imo

Seriously though...do it yourself, those things are not very difficult, expecially with some friends and a 3 day weekend.
im not complaining about the how long it will take them, its the price, everyone says its soo basic to do, i would think i shop with all the proper tools and know-how who would this shit for some pocket money (under $400) and its not that im not willing its that i am unable, two completely different things :imo
i am all for paying people to do work i cant do, every time i have had a shop do work for me i tip also, because they are providing a service i CANT do. this one, i COULD do, if i had a garage to work in, tools to do the work, another car to drive, could get out of working 2 jobs and going to school for a few days.
I'll bag your truck for 2756, and build ya a frame to lay body on anything up to 22" for 4000..
you little shit! i gotta unload some stuff and see how much money i make this month. i really dont want to deal with all the extra stuff that comes with bags but.. for that price it makes soo much more sense. and for putting this idea in my head --> :slap:

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Does the $2756 include parts and what kind of rear setup? What about the front? Just cups?:hmm:

cammed lq4/nitrous/4l80e or Bagged

Fast or Bagged

Seriously though, let me know. I'm very interested but it would be sometime in the summer

·
Full-time FSC'er
186 Posts
The shops around here were going to charge me $100 per inch of drop. So basically if I brought them the parts for a 4/6 they would have charged me nearly $1000 to install it. I called about them putting in the bolt in notch on and they wanted $250!!! So I did it myself, didnt fuck anything up and it's working great.

They told me they wanted $300 to shave door handles. And that was just for welding them up...no actual installing of anything, priming, nothing. And $400 to weld in my 10" notch, with me removing the bed. Now the notch seems understandable but they kept thinking it was an 8pc notch. I'm sure they'd charge less if they actually saw it.

And spindles shouldnt take 4 hours. It took me close to 1 hour for the first side, and even less for the second side. And I had trouble removing it from the UCA as well. I'd do it yourself man. Do the front in a weekend and the rear in another weekend, so you are sure you've got time to finish.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I in no way was meaning to come off as a dick...I just used to work as a service writer, and the times allotted for work is rediculous. That's just kinda how it is. IMO...

spindles = 1 hour
hangers = 2-3 hours (there a PIA, no one wants to do them)
shackles, shock ext., shocks = 1 hour

An easy one day driveway project with a knowledgable friend, air tools, and limited alcohol :drunk:

·
Dem People
5,664 Posts
It took Matt and I a Friday night and Saturday morning/afternoon to install the 2/4 on my truck, but only b/c the front spindles were a bitch and a half to get off and we were drinking the whole time lol. It's not all that difficult, and definately not worth paying $1k for someone else to do it. Doing it yourself is most of the fun anyway IMO.

I know a guy that will put in on for you for about $350 in Hammond, LA.

·
Dem People
5,664 Posts

·
Snooby Doo
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doing it yourself is most of the fun anyway IMO.

I know a guy that will put in on for you for about $350 in Hammond, LA.
:hmm: 395 miles = 1 tank of gas each way ($85ish) and 8 hour drive...

ill have to talk to my friend see if he is game. if not there is another shop. mom and pop shop that is literally 100yards away from the house i used to live in... he doesnt do suspension stuff, but does front end work, and has all the lifts and tools... ill have to ask him if he is game, hes always treated me good on parts...

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
:hmm: 395 miles = 1 tank of gas each way ($85ish) and 8 hour drive...

ill have to talk to my friend see if he is game. if not there is another shop. mom and pop shop that is literally 100yards away from the house i used to live in... he doesnt do suspension stuff, but does front end work, and has all the lifts and tools... ill have to ask him if he is game, hes always treated me good on parts...
Quit being a bitch and do it yourself:gayfight:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts