GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Milk was a bad choice.
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to colormatch my bumper cap and lower valance soon, and the painter I chose said it would be wise to buy those pieces paintable instead of having the shop sand my textured pieces. He didn't say how much extra it would be but he highly recommended it, so I'm guessing it would've been the better bet. It's going to cost me about $250 to buy those paintable pieces, plus $300 or so to get it painted. Should I go ahead and buy the pieces? What did some of you guys do? Thanks for any help.

·
deel'n wif it
581 Posts
if thats the painter your going with: do what he wants, if your pieces are not prepped correctly they will peel/chip:read:

textured parts can be smoothed and painted but it takes time and prep work not everyone wants to do

·
Milk was a bad choice.
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I figured that's why he didn't even quote me on getting it prepped. I just didn't want to spend a lot more than I had to.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
not to mention with it being on the front of yor trck which is the most absed....it definately needs to stick good.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
ya, I prepped my entire front end and under hood. Takes hours of sanding and lots of priming/
:word:

just prep everything yourself.

it just sucks driving around with everything off the truck.:crazy:

·
Milk was a bad choice.
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

just prep everything yourself.

it just sucks driving around with everything off the truck.:crazy:
If I do it myself, it will be off my truck a heck of a lot longer than if I just take the paintable pieces to a shop and have them do it.

·
Milk was a bad choice.
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not trying to hijack, but where could I get a paint-ready bumper cap and valance for an '04? Thanks.
No problem, I am ordering my valance for my '05 from nationalautobody.com. I couldn't find it on their site so I called them and he said they had one for $52 (or it might have been $58.. dont remember). If you want, ask for Johnathan, he's real nice. And they dont sell the bumper cap, he said you have to order that straight from the dealership. So I called my local dealer and they said it's $205 to get the paintable '06 bumper cap (which will fit 03-06). Hope that helps.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
your painter is still gonna have to smooth the valance, they dont make a paintable pre-smooth one like the upper bumper cap.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
your painter is still gonna have to smooth the valance, they dont make a paintable pre-smooth one like the upper bumper cap.

Getting your plastics painted is not going to be cheap anyway. It takes alot of prep work just like said before. You could take a day on the weekend and do all the work yourself if you wanted. Just sand, prime, and sand some more. Get it to a good point and then take it to the painter to finish up.:imo

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Just a question here, I have a buddy who has by far the cleanest dmax I have ever seen. I will try and get pics of it later but he always paints his plastic himself by going to a paint shop and having them put the paint in a rattle can. Sands primes adhesion promoter and then paints it himself. Just had the painter do it for the first time and its already cracking. And before it would take over a year till it actually obtains cracks.

In other words, dont you have to have these plastics repainted every now and then? Wouldnt it just be smarter to do it that method to save lots of dough? Its on plastic so its not like its on metal. Thats how I looked at it, please correct me though as I do not have any experience doing so yet, looking to doing it this summer.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
it should last on plastic as long as it was done right and the panels are not damaged while on the road. the paint may be cracking due to not having a flex additive mixed in. I know some automotive paints come with it, such as sherwin-williams. When I was going to wyotech, the sherwin rep came out with a piece of a shower curtain sprayed with red paint. You could roll it up into a little ball, or crumble it as tight as you could and the paint would not flake off at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts