GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Masshole
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to pick up a welder. just a 110V, anything thicker than 3/16-1/4"
, I can have nick do, or just an ARC, but i dont see me needing anything like that. anyways, i just wanna pick up a nice welder to do some small work on. im sure down the road i could upgrade to a 210, but i dont have a garage, so a 110V would probably suit me better.

this one any good? or do u have any other suggestions?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306073_200306073

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
That's a solid 110v machine. It put out about as many amps as you'll find in a 110v unit.

Hobart is ITW's econo line, Miller being their premier line. There are minor differences in the two I doubt the occasional welder would notice or at least bother.

·
Engine Block
987 Posts
Ya, nothing wrong with it. Duty cycle is a big thing, its 20%. so you can weld for 2 minutes with an 8 minute break.

hobarts aren't bad machines.

·
1998 K1500 4x4 5.7
102 Posts
I have that welder and love it. Welds everything I need it to and is very easy to use.I bought mine a year ago and the price has gone up quite a bit. If you buy the welder from northern buy the northern brand auto darkening welding helmet. I think it is just as good as the miller helmets we use at work. ANd the northern one is about $50

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
save your money. use Nick's. :crazy:

·
Registered
720 Posts
I agree w/ the everyone Cook. Its a quality machine, for what you want to do it would be perfect. Great machine to learn on to.

save your money. use Nick's.
Lol, thats too funny :)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
hobart is more than likely gonna be cheaper to find parts for, more parts available, higher rating on just about everything even if it is slightly. you can get the NT welder and im sure it will be a good welder but it doesnt get much better than the big 3 companies(lincoln,hobart,miller).

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
thats the same one i have. also the same one that was used to notch my frame for my air ride install. havent had any problems got mine a little cheaper new on ebay though

·
Engine Block
987 Posts
Hobart brand for sure, the norther one is probably fine, but it is most likely made either by a cheaper company or is a cheaper model of a hobat or lincoln.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Most of the welders ive seen are hobart made just re labelled and sold cheaper. Mine looks and works exactly like that Hobart but is labeled weldmark.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts