GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
LayNBodyOn24z
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i think some of u may know that i have the devious rasied gas tank in my truck. MINE HITS! Does anyone else have this problem? Ive hit the tank about 5-10 times since ive got it. I mean when i lay out its up just a little bit off the gound... but once i rasie the front up the tank is on the ground. I hate this...

My other questions, Is anyone running a fuel cell in there bed with a stock unit in it? im looking for some other ideas for my tank so i can get it out from under the truck.

TIA
Justin

·
Registered
930 Posts
I would send it but to devious. you paid for it not to below the frame so thats what you should have. I know Chachi(sickboy) has a fuel cell with the stock fuel pump.

1,932 Posts
I would send it but to devious. you paid for it not to below the frame so thats what you should have. I know Chachi(sickboy) has a fuel cell with the stock fuel pump.
I wouldnt send it back... I would redo your notch so you dont have more than you need. Thats what it sounds like to me. If your rear setup isnt setup right it will dip down more when you lift the front. When the front and rear is laid out that axle should be on the frame or bumpstops. If you did it right when its laid out. then you lift the front everything in front of the axle should lift. is your notch overkill? If it is that would explain why the rear of the tank hits when you lift the front up.

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
When you lift the front up, the back will go down more if you have room in your notch.

·
LayNBodyOn24z
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i can see that too... but hell everyone that has raised there tanks up of got these tanks hasnt said anything about that. I just have a 10" notch and i like to ride pretty low in the back sometimes on smooth roads. The other day i was and i hit a little bump and nailed that gas tank. SO id like to put a fuel cell in the bed or something anyone got any pics or info...?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
why not just raise your crossmembers like you do with a stock tank? with teh bed off you can do it in prolly 2 hours

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
why not just raise your crossmembers like you do with a stock tank? with teh bed off you can do it in prolly 2 hours
Is there enough space under the bed for the tank to fit (so it doesn't hit the bottom of the bed? If there is, that's probably the easiest thing to do....

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
im not sure about how much space there is with the devious tank but we raise the rear 2 inches on stock tanks and they are right at the bed floor...all you need to do is measure how far it is from the bed floor to the top of the tank and leave about 1/4 inch so it doesnt rub a hole in your tank

·
LayNBodyOn24z
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i was thinking that... and that will prolly be what ill end up doing. Im going to have to get a new crossmember though becuz i notched that one for my drive shaft and i have like 1/4 of an inch till it hit my bed. But i do thank everyone for the ideas and help!

justin

·
Registered
193 Posts
i posted a thread awhile back about my devious tank. i had to modify it just to get it to fit. mine is about 3 in off the ground. if i had to go back and do it again i would get a fuel cell. way cheaper and less hassle.

·
LayNBodyOn24z
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really? what did u have to modify? mine went right on in there and u could tell it moved it up a little... But im with u if i can do it over ill just get a cell. But i may find a new gas tank crossmember and just rasie it up even more...i also may have to take it out and find someone that can fix the tank... its pretty messed up and the back corner.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Really? what did u have to modify? mine went right on in there and u could tell it moved it up a little... But im with u if i can do it over ill just get a cell. But i may find a new gas tank crossmember and just rasie it up even more...i also may have to take it out and find someone that can fix the tank... its pretty messed up and the back corner.
i had to move up the filler neck, and i also had to cut the first crossmember to even get the tank to slide in. the rear crossmember needed a little grinding on. im was not impressed overall. but i still like the fact it looks factory

·
LayNBodyOn24z
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this is how we did my stock tank. looks really good in person.

Brandons5002.jpg

Brandonscompletion1004.jpg
I was wanting to do that... but i use my bed alot and didnt want it to take up any space. But i may have to do that after all. haha

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Sorry for post digging... but did you ever raise the crossmembers?

I have raised crossmembers but I drug through the stock tank, so I was wondering if I did a devious cell with the raised crossmembers if it would hit the cab or anything.. Because my stock tank hits the bottom of the cab as is.

·
Truck Nut
1,476 Posts
I had a custom aluminum fuel cell made with the stock sending unit. I knew the devious hit if you ride a little cali or even raise the stock tank and when your want to drag.... rocks still scrape and jump underneath it because its still close to the frame. With mine, I had it mounded toward the rear of the truck in the bed to make the refueling a lot easier because if it were up against the cab it would be a hassle to fill up since I got the bed cover. Cool thing is that this tank holds more than a stock tank for those long show trips and has secret compartments that are only assessable when you open the gate( I usually use it sneak in the booze, Or my cleaning supplies when out at a show).

5.jpg

·
Flyin V Customs
1,781 Posts
i told you at walmart that your notch was too big, justin. if you still got the factory bumpstops, drill and tap a hole, and thread those into the notch. sine mine is for 24s, i'm going to do that since the factory bumpstops are longer than the ones you get with a bolt in notch. i'm sure just about every truck at a junkyard would still have the bumpstops incase you don't have yours anymore.

EDIT: sorry that i didn't get a chance to call you back the other day. i got you message, but wasn't around the comp. until later on that night.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts