GMC Truck Forum banner

it was hard going from 8 cylinders to 6...

4K views 45 replies 27 participants last post by  Josh 
#1 ·
i did what i should have done 8 months ago and traded my lemon sierra for a 2004.5 CTD today. only a few pics right now, honestly it was hard to stop driving it long enough to snap these ones.

details: it's got the high output 325hp/600tq 5.9L cummins turbo diesel. i haven't had it at full throttle yet because the engine is new, but no truck should have this much power. it's soooo sick. ended up with the 4 speed auto, the 6 speed i wanted hadn't arrived yet and didn't have a limited slip or tow hooks... and i wasn't looking forward to teaching my girl how to drive stick. the auto is pretty nice, much different than i'm used to. it shifts real smooth, once it hits 48mph it shifts into OD and climbs any grade with the help of the turbo. it's got so much torque at 1500-2000 RPM that it's hard to get it to jump out of OD! 3.73s and limited slip in the rear, chrome steel wheels and i got lucky and got LT265/70/17E michelin tires instead of the crap BFGs that most of the rams had. red was not my first choice but i had to leave with a truck today, i told them i never wanted to see my sierra again. but i like this color red and this thing turns some heads, i tell ya what. never seen so much rubbernecking.

the power heated folding trailer tow mirrors which stick out a good 18" from the cab when folded out rule, they have a built in convex mirror which comes in handy when changing lanes. got front tow hooks and fog lights too. inside is awesome, i got the SLT package and "custom" cloth with power driver's seat w/ lumbar. power everything and CD player of course. the radio is pretty weak but it's soon being replaced. the center console is huge and has a hidden console underneath. the backseat isn't as big as a GM or ford QC but it's still bigger than my ext cab and has decent leg room. the front seats have tons of room so it's not hard to slide the front seats up for tons of rear legroom. the white face gauges are a nice change, and the A/C blows cold. the trip computer is cool, it says the average MPG is hovering around 15.

yeah, after 4 breakdowns and 2 months in the shop with my sierra, this is a nice change. i don't see myself looking back anytime soon. believe me, i checked everything out before signing this time. this truck is pretty solid, the interior quality is so much better than the NBS GM trucks. not trying to start anything here but it's the truth. i took it over railroad tracks and rumble strips, no rattles. the dash and trim pieces fit much better and are much more solid than i was used to. oh yeah, and it rides like a cadillac and isn't much louder.

imma go celebrate :cheers: but here's some pics

front shot

look how high it sits... damn

my favorite part of the whole truck

See less See more
#6 ·
Glad to see you got something better than that lemon sierra you had...but i guess just about anything would cause less problems than that truck. I feel sorry for the next sucker that buys it.

#7 ·
RedneckDude said:
Glad to see you got something better than that lemon sierra you had...but i guess just about anything would cause less problems than that truck. I feel sorry for the next sucker that buys it.

Watch this, now some guy is gonna buy his old truck, sign up on this forum, and never have a single problem with it :crazy: :LOL:

Nice truck !! I know a guy on another forum that uses one of those for work and loves it, and he spends 90% of his time in 4x4 and/or reverse out in oil fields.

#9 ·
that is fuckin badass! i have some towhooks i will sell ya if thats really a big deal. they are the OEM ones to. nice color, and glad your happy. i should have looked a little harder at those CTD's. ive always loved them, but liked my chevy a little more.

#14 ·
Congrats on the nice truck Hovis :rockit: I like it. I'll have to drive up to check that bad boy out. (I promise i'll park down the driveway so that I won't get stuck again.) I hope that you will still hang out with us at GMFS. You sign up on any Dodge forums yet? :crazy:

#16 ·
nice truck I looked at a few dodges the other day one was a scsb 1500 2wd with the hemi and the other was a 3/4 quad cab 4x4 short bed with the cummins, its hard to get back into the chevy after test drivin the cummins :crazy:

#17 ·
Must be ALOT slower :imo and YOUR's!!!!!!!! why the change??? reliability or what?? :think:

#24 ·
Badassilverado said:
Why the long bed? I want a Dodge
because real men have 8' beds! 6.5 was too short and looked disproportionate because the truck is so big.

Andy said:
upgrade the trannie and bomb that bish
no engine mods until the warranty is up. honestly i don't have any plans for the engine, it's got too much power as it is.

Whifflebat said:
Watch this, now some guy is gonna buy his old truck, sign up on this forum, and never have a single problem with it
i doubt it. i'd rather forget about the sierra. i hope the dealer fixes everything before they try to resell it.

#25 ·
Todd said:
Glad to see ya got it!
Did you buy that in Texas? Look how high that ass is.
Looks like a nice ride.
Now we need to race.
i got it locally, got a decent deal. not as good as in texas, but it had to happen this weekend. ended up raising my payment by $3 a month with $3500 down. they only gave me $21,500 for the sierra so i lost almost $13,000 on it. but it was worth it. $728 a month for 6 years. i can race damn near anything now :D

1buda said:
Congrats on the nice truck Hovis :rockit: I like it. I'll have to drive up to check that bad boy out. (I promise i'll park down the driveway so that I won't get stuck again.) I hope that you will still hang out with us at GMFS. You sign up on any Dodge forums yet? :crazy:
thanks kal. i gotta register at TDR, but i'll be around here, you guys are pretty cool. hope you don't mind a dodge at the next meet.

#26 ·
Andy said:
the sierra he bought was a frickin lemon... everything
broke..... but im sure that cummins isn't too slow with 325hp and 600tq
lemon it was, plenty of threads on that. i haven't done a full throttle launch yet. first gear is slow off the line because it's so low but once it hits 3rd and the turbo kicks in it throws me back in the seat. the torque is ridiculous :burnout:

blk03 said:
I have a family friend that as one. I like the engine but everything else is ugly about it IMO.
looks weren't my first concern, though i am really digging the way it looks. :imo it looks damn good and intimidating, and the interior is excellent too. go sit in one. don't tell me you wouldn't be intimidated if i pulled up next to you and revved the engine :whip:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.