GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Chevrolet Owner
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last month i have had a driveshaft sieze up on me, my frame crack, and now my transfer case took a crap on me. My question for all of you older 4x4 owners is which transfer case to i most likely have in my truck, and which other ones will fit in it without much modification. Ide like to gear it down a little more, but im not financially able to put a doubler in it. All suggestions are welcome thank you

·
this
1,584 Posts
driveshaft sieze...shitty Tcase....cracked frame...
man i love old chevys!!! Sounds just like mine!

do you have unlocking hubs or fulltime front axle?
if full time you have a full time 203 if you have hubs you have a part time.
a 208 is lower low range and ALOT lighter but not as strong as a 205. You will more than likely have to get your rear driveshaft lengthend.
Whatever you go with if you have a full time front axle you will (or at least should) have to convert that to part time

sucks dont it? Dont worry...im in the same old rusted cracked boat. :guns:

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
redneck where did you get that from?
do you have one for my 85 k10?

·
Chevrolet Owner
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i found out its the np203. Ive been calling around about a rebuild and everyone seems to want 750-1100 to do it. I can get a used one installed with a 6 month warrenty for 600 from GM truck center. Its the all time 4-wheel drive, but i have superwinch hubs on it so that its not always driving all 4 tires. GM truck center also said they could put a 205 in but they also have to put a new driveshaft in which will run me 1500 for the whole thing. I wish i could do that, but i can't afford it.

·
Banned
487 Posts
SDSUmudman said:
i found out its the np203. Ive been calling around about a rebuild and everyone seems to want 750-1100 to do it. I can get a used one installed with a 6 month warrenty for 600 from GM truck center. Its the all time 4-wheel drive, but i have superwinch hubs on it so that its not always driving all 4 tires. GM truck center also said they could put a 205 in but they also have to put a new driveshaft in which will run me 1500 for the whole thing. I wish i could do that, but i can't afford it.
I have a perfectly good NP203 that i pulled out of my '76 chevy blazer. I'll sell it to you for $100, but shipping is guna suck cause its cast iron and very heavy.

If you care to check, my zip is 57434 and it weighs 165lbs.

·
Chevrolet Owner
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how easy is it to install one of those? Does it just bolt right in, do i need any special tools? UPS only allows up to 150 pounds is there another way to ship it?

·
Banned
487 Posts
If you have a floor jack, and basic tools it takes me about an hour to take one out and replace it.

Drop both driveshafts, put a jack under your transmission. put another jack under your transfer case. Unbolt the 6 bolts that goes to your tranny, undo shift linkage. Take out 4 crossmember bolts (2per side) and lower the transfercase with the jack. Replace in oposite order.

If you can, make sure you have a buddy to help you. I put a 208 in my old truck by myself but a 208 is about 70 pounds i think where the 203 is a hell of a lot heavier.

np2033.jpg

·
Chevrolet Owner
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the info. Im gonna have to pass on your t-case cause i need to have this thing done as soon as possible, but thanks for the offer. Maybe i can save a little dough if i do the work myself

1 - 14 of 14 Posts