GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy,

To fit my subs in correctly (which ive been neglecting to do, i have to remove the jack and all of that stuff which ive done, i can't get this last bolt off (pic included) and some people said i have to get it from the underbody, but theres a shield there...so how do i go about taking this off?

Truck is a 96 reg cab if u need to know that

Dave

IaMG_0003.gif

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
easy, get out your cutoff wheel and go to work. If you dont have that a hacksaw will do.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Cutting it off would be the easiest, but if you want to work at it, grab some vice grips and clamp down hard on the shaft and start cranking, it should unscrew like any other bolt. The floor is tapped and the shaft is threaded and held tight with some lock-tite.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if i get enough of that bolt of with a dremel (my brothers 'maro is in the shop right now). I'll be able to pop that plastic cover off? what about the other end of the bolt on the underbody? Will that fly off sometime, or stay there and make an annoying ass noise all the time?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
yeah just cut the bolt and nut or whatever right off. The other chunk will probably stay there, even if it does fall off it wont be a big deal.

·
Registered
711 Posts
the tip of the bolt might have an allen wrench shape (six sided). you could probably use the right sized socket and just unscrew it. i think thats how my brother's was. i'de try that before you just go start cutting stuff. if all else fails, a nice big hammer will knock it through the floor. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i got pissed and dremel'd it to a stub, its nice and smooth and my passenger side sub hits harder now that it can move more. Thanks for the help though.

Dave

·
Rollin with Saget
1,594 Posts
no no no.... i got a 94 ext cab and it had a very similar bolt thingy going thru it. use the vice grips and take it out. there is no bolt underneath it. the jack holder is only held in by that and one other bolt, thats it. took me less than 5 minutes to take mine out. (no cutting required)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts