GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading something somewhere, maybe ART's website and it said not to jack up your truck with the bags inflated. What is everyone elses experience?

It seems with your truck aired out it would be almost impossible to get a jack under it or on a lift. Do you get the jack or lift under it and then air out?

Just don't want to fook up my truck when I take it to get my wheels and tires put on in a couple weeks.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
you can jack on the LCA with the bag inflated, and on the differential in the back... basically it is saying not to let your suspension/tires&wheels hang on the bags or make the bags droop like you can with regular springs. this will cause stress on them. just be safe and use common sense and you wont pop them.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if your truck is on a lift to get, say tires and wheels, air them out completely or almost completely? I was thinking that the shock would keep the suspension from pulling on the bag, but I'm new to this all.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
bcubed said:
So if your truck is on a lift to get, say tires and wheels, air them out completely or almost completely? I was thinking that the shock would keep the suspension from pulling on the bag, but I'm new to this all.
honestly, if it were mine, i wouldnt let them put it on a lift with that setup and the tires on. it could go on the lift with the tires off though and aired out. that way there would be no weight hanging. if i was spending as much as you on that coolride, id take every precaution. just use some floorjacks and jack it up off the LCA and rear axle.

·
Scooter
550 Posts
yes you must deflate the bag!!! one of my customers left air in his truck and one of his shokcs pulled apart... either that will happen owill heravloud BOOMMMMMM!! and your bag will be gone! so before the trucks wheels leave the ground let the air out..

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
So, let me get this right. It's OKAY to raise the vehicle by the LCA or differential. It's NOT okay to raise it by the frame, front crossmember, or other component that doesn't support (Maintain "load") the suspension...??? :think:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BaggedC10 said:
So, let me get this right. It's OKAY to raise the vehicle by the LCA or differential. It's NOT okay to raise it by the frame, front crossmember, or other component that doesn't support (Maintain "load") the suspension...??? :think:
Right now if you jacked my truck up by the lower control arm you wouldn't be able to get the tire out of the fenderwell ... but I guess when I get the coolride in I could air it up to get the needed clearance and change the tires that way.

heh, maybe I should just pick up my 20s and put them on myself instead of letting the shop touch my truck :boti:

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
BaggedC10 said:

yes, when you lift by the LCA or differential, all of the wieght is still on the springs. it is exactly the same as having the tires on it and it being on the ground. when you lift it by the frame the suspension articulates and it could cause the bag to pop if not properly handled.

bcubed said:
heh, maybe I should just pick up my 20s and put them on myself instead of letting the shop touch my truck :boti:
this is usually a good idea anyways.. ive heard horror stories. unless you take them to someone you know you can trust.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder how the vehicles with factory air suspensions handle this, cause I'm betting some yuppy chick in her factory air suspension suv wouldn't know how to tell a shop not to lift her vehicle, heh.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
lowred said:
yes, when you lift by the LCA or differential, all of the wieght is still on the springs. it is exactly the same as having the tires on it and it being on the ground. when you lift it by the frame the suspension articulates and it could cause the bag to pop if not properly handled.

ok im in no way a street guy, but wouldn't a simple set of limiting straps commonly used for 4x4's solve this problem???

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
bcubed said:
I wonder how the vehicles with factory air suspensions handle this, cause I'm betting some yuppy chick in her factory air suspension suv wouldn't know how to tell a shop not to lift her vehicle, heh.
people mess up the lincolns all the time :anitoof: i see MANY of them driving down the street almost on the ground, and NOT on purpose. just some old fart driving and doesnt know any better. there are MANY causes for this though, not to be blamed on improper lifting..

Jeff said:
ok im in no way a street guy, but wouldn't a simple set of limiting straps commonly used for 4x4's solve this problem???
yes, but they still need to be aired out. the back (especially on a 2 link) is where straps would do the best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts