GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/URL][/IMG]

Just got my JBA stainless shorties in today...got them installed in about 2.5 hours. Not too hard, just time consuming. I'll get pics of them installed tomorrow morning, its raining outside right now so im unable to. Already have true dual orignal 40 series flows, sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't really driven anywhere yet, i'll let you know tomorrow...i expect some bottom end improvement. I'm planning on a cam and 2800 stall torque converter, 4.56 gears, then takin it to get it tuned so, i still have a little ways to go.

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
Haven't really driven anywhere yet, i'll let you know tomorrow...i expect some bottom end improvement. I'm planning on a cam and 2800 stall torque converter, 4.56 gears, then takin it to get it tuned so, i still have a little ways to go.
Well let me know how it feels tomorrow.......And youll love it when you put in those gears.....I just put in 4.56s in oct and it was the best mod Ive done to any vehicle Ive had.
Although ive never charged or NOS a vehicle.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
doubt itll be much... not noticeable anyways. just curious... but why not some longtubes?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't really want long tubes, haven't found any i really like. Well i did drive it a little while ago and i noticed a little bit. Im sure with the tune and the other mods, i'll see a big improvement.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
shorty's have been proven a waste with the stock port exhaust manifolds...on an older model vehicle they would give a semi noticeable gain, but with the new engineering and trying to pump out as much as they can, you'd be amazed.

I woulda went with some pacesetter coated longtubes IMO. You'll get an easy torque rise on the bottom end, and high flow at upper rpm ranges.

Dave

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Didn't really want long tubes, haven't found any i really like.
What do you mean by "any I really like"? Do you need a first date and a dozen roses too before you make a header decision. There are plenty of different sets of longtubes that will actually make a difference in performance compared to your shorties.

Pacesetter-$500 gets you coated headers with a catless y-pipe
OBX-$500 gets you stainless steel headers, with catted ypipe
Thorley-midlenth headers that aren't as good as longtubes, but aren't bad
Dynatech-$1200 gets you a full exhaust system to the ypipe
TOG and ASM headers are some other brands.

Sorry, but I don't understand your reasoning and how you can blow that much money on something that gave you 5-7rwhp.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
The OBX LTs have a resonator that looks like a cat ;)
yea your right, but are you possitive on that? I know there was some controversy on the possibility that it might be a cat. Either way, if you have a visual inspection those will help you pass.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
If shorties only get you 5-7 what will L/Ts get you? I thought it was also only 5-7
Stone150 got a soild 20/20 from his. I have seen numbers as high as 25/25.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do you mean by "any I really like"? Do you need a first date and a dozen roses too before you make a header decision. There are plenty of different sets of longtubes that will actually make a difference in performance compared to your shorties.

Pacesetter-$500 gets you coated headers with a catless y-pipe
OBX-$500 gets you stainless steel headers, with catted ypipe
Thorley-midlenth headers that aren't as good as longtubes, but aren't bad
Dynatech-$1200 gets you a full exhaust system to the ypipe
TOG and ASM headers are some other brands.

Sorry, but I don't understand your reasoning and how you can blow that much money on something that gave you 5-7rwhp.
I did not want long tube headers. Im not trying to make a drag truck or anything. I wanted something that could bolt up to my factory pipes because i already gutted the cats. Im sure after tuning, i'll see more than 5-7 rwhp. I did not pay $500 or more for my headers either.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
:insane: Is this on a mostly stock NBS? Hell Ill get me a set for my bday if I can get 20/20 out of them.
Yes, Stone150's truck is just about bone stock. At most I think he has a muffler and K&N. I'm looking for the dyno sheet as we speak.

Also HighSierra, sorry man, but while you will see gains with a tune, your shorties will not even net you 10rwhp over the stock manifolds. What makes you think you will see gains? You have just replaced a part that is the exact same size, requires no altering of the exhaust and the stockers flow very well. The only thing different is that I think the collectors are slightly larger.

Believe me, more people would be running shorties if they made much difference.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
yea your right, but are you possitive on that? I know there was some controversy on the possibility that it might be a cat. Either way, if you have a visual inspection those will help you pass.
Considering I don't own them, no. But from everything I've read here it appears to be the case. Was there anything about them on PT? Must have missed it :imo

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Considering I don't own them, no. But from everything I've read here it appears to be the case. Was there anything about them on PT? Must have missed it :imo
Yea, there's some limited information. Basically the headers are just about EXACTLY like the old style dynatechs but for $700 cheaper. My roommate just ordered a set for his 03 z71 so I'll let you know when he gets them.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The ports on the headers are also larger than the stock manifolds. JBA is claiming 14+ horsepower to the wheels with just the headers. With their headers, exhaust, and plug wires, they gained 28 rwhp.
[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 20 of 74 Posts