GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you use them correctly? Truck running or not? Which cables to hook up first to which truck or car? I don't want to fry anything on my new truck.

·
Registered
308 Posts
you leave the truck off, as well as the other car. you put the positive on the dead battery then on the good battery. then the same order with the negative. then crank the car with the good battery and then crank the bad one. after you get it running you remove them in reverse order, negatives first then positives seconds.....remember positive is first on and the last off

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
my dad has always taught me to leave the starter truck running. then hook good positive to dead positive, good negative to dead negative............its been workin for me everytime

·
Registered
308 Posts
it does matter if the truck is running or not because there's a small chance that you could fry your ecu....not likely, but it could happen

·
Registered
601 Posts
DUBrado said:
i dont think it matters if the truck is running or not, done it both ways
The benfit of the truck running the the alternator on the running truck is helping charge the weaker battery. Since the alternator runs at 13-14V it forces the electrons to the lower charged battery faster than the batterys just connected.

Personally running while jump is what I have always done. You could fry your ecu doing manythings, like trying to start with too little of a charge in the battery (brown out). So its lose lose.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I've always left it running. And I always use the heaviest jumper cables i can, right now I think mine are etiher 2 guage or 0 guage, and 20 ft long. So far the blazer hasn't needed a jump though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems like everyone and everything I've read does it differently.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
i always leave the starter car running. My dad has damaged a altenator that way, but hey, its pretty much the only way to get the car running again. If its a stick, roll it down a hill and pop the clutch in. It works to for an auto, u just need to be going like 30 mph. Trust me, i've done it. lol

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
i have always been taught to run the grounds first, then positive on the good vehicle and pos on the bad one... that was HS auto shop... if i remember right, its been a few years.

·
I'm back!
794 Posts
Or you could put the positive cable on the negative side of the battery and the negative cable on the positive side of the battery and fry some fuses like some friends of mine that were :smoke2: did when they jumped his truck off

1 - 12 of 12 Posts