GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I start? I don't want to do any damage, but want to get better performance on mileage. I've been reading all I can on the forums.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
my suggestion would be to go to performancetrucks.net and read everything you can and post up questions on there. they have a tuning section.

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
yah, pt.net has starter threads, and also go to hptuners forum, they have starter threads also. Read and learn as much as you can, start with the basics, rpm limits, speed limiter, tire size, fan controls if applicable. It will take time to learn.

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Get on the HPT and EFILive forums and LURK!!!! Look for posts by Black02SS on the EFI forums too!!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been lurking and reading for weeks. I can't wait to see if I can tune my dads and my trucks. If I can sqeeze 13mpg out of my dads 8.1, I'd be the best son in the world. Haha. This is gonna be fun!!!

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
I've been lurking and reading for weeks. I can't wait to see if I can tune my dads and my trucks. If I can sqeeze 13mpg out of my dads 8.1, I'd be the best son in the world. Haha. This is gonna be fun!!!
:lol: Yank off 2 plug wires then!!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:lol: Yank off 2 plug wires then!!
Tell me about it. We did a K&N intake and a flowmaster muffler. Went from 9 to 11mpg. I told him to by a DMax, but he hates deisel from being a truck driver for over 20 years. Then I told him to stop driving like he is in the NHRA, he laughed at me and said he had to prepare for the day he and John Force meet at a red light. Funny guy. I'll get 13 out of it, with 8 plug wires.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
read up and dive in... trial and error (within reason) is sometimes the best way to learn... just dont get too click happy and blow your or your dad's shit up LOL...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
read up and dive in... trial and error (within reason) is sometimes the best way to learn... just dont get too click happy and blow your or your dad's shit up LOL...
I think blowing it up wouldn't piss him off at this point. He is really disapointed that GM has a pussy big block. He has been eyeing some of GM crate motors. But no, I don't plan on making a paper wieght out of his 8.1.........................yet.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That sounds like it. He would probably buy it from the GM dealer in Placerville, CA and have them install it. I keep saying-Dad, get a blower. But he thinks it might break down on him the one day he is sitting in Bay area traffic with his corporate boss in the truck. He worries to much.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
he doesnt need an entire catback to get better flow, just have them swap out the muffler
He just put it on last month. I tried, but he loves Flowmaster. And that is what the muffler shop recommended. Needless to say, I wasn't with him.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
He just put it on last month. I tried, but he loves Flowmaster. And that is what the muffler shop recommended. Needless to say, I wasn't with him.
I'm surprised the shop didnt recommend the most expensive one, thats what most guys do around here

1 - 20 of 22 Posts