GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the 3 drawer craftsman plastic box for storing my 260 piece or so craftsman kit (i hate those cases they come in) Well the kit was already at about 300 pieces when i bought the box.

well ive been trying to get stuff together so i can work on things more at school, like more special tools not just common sockets.

I needed some other things like cresent wrenches and torx sockes and whatever else, so i made a trip to harbor frieght today, i figure itll work for now that cheap stuff and ill put it in my truck tool kit once i get better stuff.

Well i came home, $110 dollars later, and this thing is packed, its still organized but its full, and one of the pry bars i got does not fit in it either.

I also got a cheapo 3/8" air ratchet to keep in the truck for use with the onboard air.

anyways i kinda feel like i wasted my money on this box since im gonna have to get a bigger one, i guess it will get me through december when i get done with school.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What do u guys think about having a 4 drawer tool cart with the opening lid for all the tools you use regularly and then some sort of work bench with drawers or cabinets for the overflow? I'm thinking ahead since I know I won't have a huge garage when I buy a house

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
I've got 2 of the same boxes with about 40 different tools sitting on the lids and the rest around the garage.

They're pretty sweet for what they are but I wouldn't suggest them as a start to a garage storage set. You can't build on them, the drawers don't slide for anything and the latches are constantly a headache. If I had more room I'd go pick up a Kobalt 11 drawer roller or a CSPS box, having everything in one place and organized is the poop.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I may just buy a big top chest for now and then I can add the cabinet to the bottom later. Anyone want to buy this box? Haha $50 shipped

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha yea yea

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
Snap-on makes some great roll cart choices. Anywhere from $350-1100. I am eyeballing the $1100 one because it's 3 ft wide and up to my chest in height with drawers all the way down it for HID installs. I'm not sure what your price range is, but it seemed pretty reasonable to me when I have a $13,000 toolbox at work.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trying to stay under $250. I might buy the 4 drawer one from harbor freight for $180 it has a lot of good reviews on garagejournal

·
GMC Owner
1,464 Posts
i just got a new toolbox for my birthday several months ago. its full. i have two now one is full of mechanic tools, the other is everything else.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
I love justifying $1100 for a small tool box based on $13k for a different one at work:crazy:

My friend just bought a $5k discounted Snap On box and I still think it's ridiculous. They even have their own financing group that will give you the option of making payments over a period of time on a secured loan at the low low rate of ~10%, awesome. Sorry, while I think they make solid tools and boxes, I'm convinced the tool companies are giant abusers of their customers. They use interest and payments to convince their customers to get into debt that seems manageable with a final payout that makes the inflated original cost seem minor.

Whichever, if I can help it I'll never wrench again for a living so I must not 'get it'.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can see spending up to 5k for a box if you are making a living out of that box. For the home mechanic its stupid

·
2,595 Posts
have you ever taken $50,000 worth of tools and moved them from one box to another? It's a gigantic pain in the ass. I'll never have to do that with my box. I'm 22, by 25 i'll own my box and never have to buy another. I know guys who are 50 and are making $150 a month payments on their boxes because they either bought too small, or they bought junk when they were younger. This guy sounded like he was going to school to be a mechanic, so i figured a solid cart is a good place to start. And I'll drink to never having to wrench again, thats my plan.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
Don't forget that he bought all his tools at Harbor Freight. It seems kinda silly to buy a box that costs as much as a car to hold the cheapest tools on the planet.

·
2,595 Posts
Don't forget that he bought all his tools at Harbor Freight. It seems kinda silly to buy a box that costs as much as a car to hold the cheapest tools on the planet.
TRUE. get a cheap ass box from sears or lowes until you start making decent money wrenching, but before you do that, get a new profession. no mechanics enjoy their job

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am not a mechanic. I'm a civil engineer ill be done with school in december. Also I own almost all craftsman stuff. I just bought a bunch of stuff at harbor freight that won't get heavy use. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Also I know not to buy cheap ass stuff that will actually get used but I honestly don't think that I'd ever fill a 26" top middle and bottom chest for the work that I do. So no sense in me buying some huge 8' dollar box for me to actually work out of once a week

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
I got a cheaper bottom and top box for Xmas 2 years ago and it will do me fine for home wrenching projects since im not a mechanic and dont plan on doing that for a living. If I were making money at wrenching then I could see spending $5K+ on a box. Mine will be fine for what I need and when I need something bigger, ill upgrade to a smaller snap-on box or a large Kobalt box from lowes.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Exactly I just want ball bearing drawers.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
I've had to move several million dollars worth of tools from one building to another, but that required a city permit, a huge forklift, and 8 months worth of facilitizing to make it operational again:crazy:

I get the idea of keeping it all in one place, I think it's a good idea, I just can't get behind owning a storage device for my air and hand tools that would more than payoff my new truck regardless of thier value.

I just think a lot of mechanics would be alot better off if Snap-On or Matco didn't have them by the balls each paycheck for the tens of thousands of dollars of tools and boxes they just had to buy from them because they're guaranteed for life! A much smaller up front amount of money would get you a very nice tool collection from the same manufacturers bought from someone else who payed new prices and is now taking the depriciation hit. Get a loan from a credit union and go on a necesary used tool shopping spree.

I'm an odd person though I've been told so it all has to come with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I use my dads stuff too but I don't plan om being at home a year from now so while I have no bills I'm starting my collection.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts