GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 08 sierra denali after I sold my built 08 duramax. The D-MAX was fun but damn they cost a lot to fix.

So now for the denali I'm going to get it tuned, headers and maybe a cam in the next year.

1. I pull a 24 ft. wakeboat on the weekend. Its about 7000 pound loaded up. When I get a tune (probably black bear) how much torque management should I remove and should I leave the tow haul mode alone since I pull a boat all the time. I read some people have it set up where it removes all the TM.

2. If I get header with a catless Y pipe can I tune all the O2 sensors out and will it pass inspection still or throw and chack engine lights?

3. If I get it tuned then throw on a in take pipe later. Like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airaid-200-...0|Submodel:Denali&hash=item3ce6296bbf&vxp=mtr

or something cheaper if yall know of any thing its just a pipe. Do I need to get it retuned?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
1. Not sure
2. You can tune out the o2s and it won't throw a cel, but it will not pass emissions
3. To get the full benefit of the intake you'll want a tune for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking the LT OBX headers, so if I was to get the Y pipe with the high flow cats would it pass then.

·
Registered
57 Posts
80% is pretty standard you can do 100% but it won't make much of a difference and be too soft according to Justin.
I would leave the towhaul mode alone, not much need to have a seperate tune on it.

If you get the autocal you can send a log file for whatever Bolt on you install and he can adjust for it for free. The intake won't make much of a difference in the tune.

You will pass inspection with the catted Y.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
In Jersey they only do a visual inspection. I have fake cats. That being said it wasn't worth it. 0-60 times were stagnant in the margin for error. Shorty headers are worth a lot more and are bolt on performance. They even hook up to the factory Y pipe. Hold off on the tune. Get the intake in with some shorty headers and an exhaust. I did a custom set up but Gibson is good value for money without being obnoxiously loud. After those add the tune. Realisticly 35+ horsepower is the outcome.

·
Registered
57 Posts
In Jersey they only do a visual inspection. I have fake cats. That being said it wasn't worth it. 0-60 times were stagnant in the margin for error. Shorty headers are worth a lot more and are bolt on performance. They even hook up to the factory Y pipe. Hold off on the tune. Get the intake in with some shorty headers and an exhaust. I did a custom set up but Gibson is good value for money without being obnoxiously loud. After those add the tune. Realisticly 35+ horsepower is the outcome.

Long tube headers offer more power by far over the shorties. You would be lucky To gain half the power of longtubes off the shortys. Plus you get the added low end torque for towing with the longtubes. There is absolutely no way you will gain 35+ off of just shorties and an intake. A tune with longtubes should be good for maybe 30+ to the crank.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
^ this. Yes shorties flow better than factory, but it's not worth the money. Save up for a little bit longer and buy long tubes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yes Shorty's aren't nearly as good as long tubes which is why I have long tubes. Yet if you need cats anyway the cost of long tubes + aftermarket cats adds up. 35 hp is realistic if you do the CAI, headers, full exhaust, and a Black Bear tune. You enter make believe land when you believe the advertised increases on bolt ons like throttle spacers

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea OBX headers for the 6.2 is only 505.00 even with the high flow cat Y pipe, so thats not to bad. And the stock exhaust on the 6.2 is already 3.5 pipes so it flows pretty good. So I'll save some money and see how it sound after the headers first.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Go for it then. They are the biggest pain to put in but the rewards are great. Add a tune later and it'll wake up the truck nicely.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Do it. Sounds awesome. Yeah on my 2003 the stock exhaust was even quieter than friend's stock 4 cylinder Tacoma.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts