GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just loss 3rd gear, and looking for a rebuilt tranny. i looked at goodfellas, flt, rpm trans. kinda strapped for cash at the moment, any suggestion. also just for shits and giggles, whats the benifits of upgrading from a 4l60e to a 4l80e?

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
If you're strapped for cash, forget about the 80E upgrade. That will cost you more up front than you realize after trans, crossmember, driveshaft, possible PCM changes, etc. FLT makes very good transmissions, but likewise it will cost ya. Search around and see what it's going to cost for a rebuild of your stock one.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
check into Performabuilt. they're cheaper than FLT.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i checked performabuilt and they're $1900 where as goodfellas are $900. like i said im strapped for cash. is goodfellas a truthworthy company? im also aware "you pay for what you get"

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Well it sucks you losT 3rd gear, but if you're strapped for cash find a 4L60E on craigslist and swap it in and go easy on the truck, you gotta pay to play.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Well what else is missing? OD? do you have manual low gears?

I bet the lack of gearing is what finished it off.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Well what else is missing? OD? do you have manual low gears?

I bet the lack of gearing is what finished it off.
Think it would of made that big of a difference with him only running 33's?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Wow didnt realize they were so undergeared

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not sure if OD is gone. once it gets to 3rd it redlines then drops back into 2nd. also is there any programming need for the replacement trans?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok my trans is on the way. am i supposed to remove the starter to unbolt the converter from the flywheel?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts