GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals, i just wanna double check and make sure everything is gonna work together before i place the order for drop parts....

my overall goal is a 5/6 or a 5/7 drop, i wanted to go 5/8 but alot of members said i'd scrape on every bump, which i dont want.

I've already got my hotchkis kit ready for install, and my brother is coming home before his next deployment to help me drop the truck.

up front i was going to run the hotchkis 2" drop coils along with DJM 3" LCA's, ive heard this will work without a problem, but didnt know if there was a better solution (3" spindles?) since ive heard about the bumpsteer problems and how some people cant get their alignment right.

in the rear, im planning on the hotchkis 4" drop leafs, along with drop shackles and hangers, but i'll run the shackles on the first setting to keep it from being an 8" drop. What im confused about is how big of a c-notch should i run? I wouldnt think the DJM c-notch for a 6" rear drop would work...anyone have an idea?

as far as shocks, i'll just run whatever works for a 5-6/5-6 application. If i have to custom order them (i wouldnt think i would though) then i'll need some help with that as well, because i dont know what measurements i need.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Asian as fuck!
3,863 Posts
the notch won't be enough for an 8" drop... well, it will be if you don't mind your axle slapping it.

·
Asian as fuck!
3,863 Posts
roads here are pretty nasty and i RARELY hit with my 8" drop:imo im running the standard djm notch
damn, my truck sucks then... 7" drop, djm notch, and I've hit it a few times. :insane:

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
damn, my truck sucks then... 7" drop, djm notch, and I've hit it a few times. :insane:
:think: thats seriously strange dude b/c mine hardly ever bottoms out. the only time that i can recall doing so under normal driving conditions is when i hit a HUGE pothole late at night one night.

also, with my 8" drop, i had my buddy's LQ4 in the bed of my truck and it still wasnt directly on the notch although it was EXTREMELY close.

·
Asian as fuck!
3,863 Posts
:think: thats seriously strange dude b/c mine hardly ever bottoms out. the only time that i can recall doing so under normal driving conditions is when i hit a HUGE pothole late at night one night.

also, with my 8" drop, i had my buddy's LQ4 in the bed of my truck and it still wasnt directly on the notch although it was EXTREMELY close.
I have noticed that mine sits fairly low out back for a 7" though... springs could be worn or sagging a little, I guess.:insane: oh well, those springs shouldn't be there at the end of the year:D

·
Registered
75 Posts
s3gulit, have you thought about just doing a flip kit in the rear to put the springs below the axle and then if you want to run a 7" drop get a 2" drop shackle? I don't know the cost of the drop leafs and everything else that uou wanted to do in the rear, but I would think that a simple flip kit and shackle would be considerably cheaper.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
s3gulit, have you thought about just doing a flip kit in the rear to put the springs below the axle and then if you want to run a 7" drop get a 2" drop shackle? I don't know the cost of the drop leafs and everything else that uou wanted to do in the rear, but I would think that a simple flip kit and shackle would be considerably cheaper.
yeah, thats what i would do personally..i didnt read the whole thing earlier. i wouldnt mess with the hangers if i had the option of doing a flip kit:read:

·
Asian as fuck!
3,863 Posts
I believe he wants the stiffer hotchkis springs as opposed to the stock ones, which is why he's doing it that way.

·
TurtlePusher
500 Posts
its alot easier to install a flipkit. as for the front, ditch the LCA's and go 2" spindle and 3" spring

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ive already got the hotchkis kit, and my brother reminded me before i installed it that on my OBS i went 3/4 and always thought about a 4/6 on it, so when the 3/4 was done, i immediately wanted to go lower....

My problem with the flip kit, is i dont know how well cal-tracs would work with the axle being flipped. Also, since the hotckis are a bit more stiff, it's gonna work well for hauling seed in the back of my truck, especially with the overload leaf.

i've already got the 2" coils, does belltech/mcgaughy's make a 3" spindle?

Dave

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
The hotchkis springs will be stiffer and make the truck handle much better, from what I have heard. However though, if you originally wanted to do a flip kit, they do make caltracs specifically for a flip kit.

You say you didn't want to do 5/8 because you would be scrapping on every bump, but you even running a 5/7 you will only have around 3" of ground clearence. If this is a daily driver truck I would stick with a 4" drop up front and 6" or 7" out back. Its up to you though.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah it's a daily driver, except in the winter, then i get in the duramax.

I never really wanted to do a flip kit, i originally wanted a 2/4, then realized its not much on these trucks, so i figured why not be a little creative and run shackles/hangers to get it lower.

I think your truck is a 4/6 right? if it is, then is it level, or does it still have a little rake to it? I just really like the 5/7 look, slammed to the ground, but the roads are par/sub-par around here, especially with me living on the farm in the country. I'd still use the truck quite a bit to haul seed and stuff as well.

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts