GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the volant intake is any better than the K&N. I had a K&N on my 2000 excab and liked it. I was wondering what the volant is like.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
Hey, six to one, a half dozen to the other. We're not talking significant gains here.

The Volant sure looks snazzier in there.

With that said, I love my K&N.

·
SC 6.0
588 Posts
I have the Volant with the ram air package. It sure forces air up there in the box. Each time I open up the box, I have to take leaves, dirt, small pebbles, and small animals. :p. Ok maybe not small animals, but you get the point. :p All in all the air flow must be good to get things up there right?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
They do the same thing.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have looked at the Volant w/ ram air but I don't think it will work on my because my truck has fog lights

·
attention whore
708 Posts
I have looked at the Volant w/ ram air but I don't think it will work on my because my truck has fog lights
The ram air tube sucks from behind the tow hook opening. :read:

The FIPK is not a true CAI, is it? I haven't seen an FIPK in-person, but my understanding is it sucks hot air from the engine compartment because it doesn't have a closed-lid box.

·
attention whore
708 Posts
The Outlaw intakes are even nicer than Volants. That's what I'm getting on my truck. It has the port on the bottom that I'm definitely gonna put a ram air tube on. Almost pointless without some type of ram air tube.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
The ram air tube sucks from behind the tow hook opening. :read:

The FIPK is not a true CAI, is it? I haven't seen an FIPK in-person, but my understanding is it sucks hot air from the engine compartment because it doesn't have a closed-lid box.
That's not true - The rubber lip seals away the engine compartment when the hood is closed.

I monitor my IAT via EFILive - On a 80ºF day, my IATs are around 90ºF - Typically 10º warmer than the ambient outside air temperature. There will obviously be some amount of heat soak - as under hood temps are typically 150º-160ºF on a warm sunny day, and the plastic composition of the intake tube and mass air flow sensor (where the IAT sensor is located) will conduct some of this radiant heat.

·
attention whore
708 Posts
I'd like to see some numbers from folks running the Outlaw or Volant, not that 5 +/- degrees would make a significant performance difference anyway.

·
attention whore
708 Posts
Does the K&N have a shield at the bottom?

·
attention whore
708 Posts
That's not true - The rubber lip seals away the engine compartment when the hood is closed.

I monitor my IAT via EFILive - On a 80ºF day, my IATs are around 90ºF - Typically 10º warmer than the ambient outside air temperature. There will obviously be some amount of heat soak - as under hood temps are typically 150º-160ºF on a warm sunny day, and the plastic composition of the intake tube and mass air flow sensor (where the IAT sensor is located) will conduct some of this radiant heat.

Here's a dyno chart off of Outlaw's site comparing it (being a closed-lid CAI) to a heat-shielded open element filter and the stock air intake, for what it's worth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.