GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, i came across an 87' GMC Jimmy. 350, 6" lift, brand new 35" SSR's. white. the guy wants $5000. So today, i go and take it for a spin and bring it back to my house to check it out. It probly needs new brakes pads, idk some brakes stuff. But the steering felt REALLY loose, i mean i was all over the road. i know that is common with big tires, but these are only 35"s. That was the only problem i really noticed with it. It ran great. A/C blew cold and everything... I would be DDing this for a while, so tell me K5 owners, what are common problems or what should i look for as a red flag.

Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
About a week ago, i came across an 87' GMC Jimmy. 350, 6" lift, brand new 35" SSR's. white. the guy wants $5000. So today, i go and take it for a spin and bring it back to my house to check it out. It probly needs new brakes pads, idk some brakes stuff. But the steering felt REALLY loose, i mean i was all over the road. i know that is common with big tires, but these are only 35"s. That was the only problem i really noticed with it. It ran great. A/C blew cold and everything... I would be DDing this for a while, so tell me K5 owners, what are common problems or what should i look for as a red flag.

Thanks, Rob
Stock steering is somewhat terrible on K5s. That price seems a little high to me, I've been stuyding Blazers for a few months now, probably getting one next week actually. How many miles are on it? Brakes are cheap to fix, I wouldn't worry about that. Depending on mileage I would think it should be somewhere in the $3500-4500 range.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock steering is somewhat terrible on K5s. That price seems a little high to me, I've been stuyding Blazers for a few months now, probably getting one next week actually. How many miles are on it? Brakes are cheap to fix, I wouldn't worry about that. Depending on mileage I would think it should be somewhere in the $3500-4500 range.
i forgot to look how many miles!! but yeah if i make an offer i'll start at $3500.

·
GMFS Señor Member
1,326 Posts
Yo Rob, with my K5, the only problem I'm getting besides the a new tranny is the loose steering. Like Casey said, it's common on K5s. I would definitely start at $3500 as an offer and work your way up. Depending on how many miles are on there and how the truck looks is probably where the guy got $5000. I would sell mine for about $4000-$5000 and it's a 79. Join the K5 brotherhood, my brotha!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, that seems like very good stuff to look for. i think i could definately talk him down. lol he said it is that price because of the stuff it has on it. 6" skyjacker and 35" SSR's, which are like brand new tho. the body and interior is in pretty good shape, with the exception of a cracked dash which doesnt bother me. the body has just some surface i rust i believe. like where the side molding was removed? its not the prettiest, but that doesnt matter to me.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
thanks guys, that seems like very good stuff to look for. i think i could definately talk him down. lol he said it is that price because of the stuff it has on it. 6" skyjacker and 35" SSR's, which are like brand new tho. the body and interior is in pretty good shape, with the exception of a cracked dash which doesnt bother me. the body has just some surface i rust i believe. like where the side molding was removed? its not the prettiest, but that doesnt matter to me.
Even if they are brand new, you never get what you put into your truck back out. Say the K5 was worth 3k stock, and he put $1500 into it in lift/tires, that by no means makes it worth $4500. Sucks for him, and he's probably just trying to get some of that back. Look for those frame cracks like Matt said, and check the little things as well, like if the back window works, etc. Otherwise it sounds like a pretty good deal if you can talk him down on the price, and the mileage isn't through the roof.

·
Architecture owns me
2,351 Posts
I paid $3500 for this '88 in march of '05.

c44a57d0.jpg

e438e8b0.jpg

It needed a grille and a bumper, but i added a new muffler and steering wheel. I also put in a new radiator because the one in their was shot. AC didn't work but it was loaded from factory with cruise and power everything. Shoulda kept it

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i will definately try and talk him down on the price. it isnt near as clean as yours was Paul. it just needs some TLC, and needs to be driven, the thing ran great. electric rear window worked, passenger worked drivers didnt lol. just little things like that need fixing it seems. i cant stop thinking about the dang thing!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts