GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 1996 chev 1500 Z71, and looking to lift it... not to sure what i wanna do. i love the mud and i love crawing on the rocks, i wanna go up to 35's thats it maybe 38's one day but only 35's for now..

PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
pics always contribute to the success of assessing the situation :imo

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,900 Posts
i wheel hard with ifs in mud with 38s...

Cracker wheels hard with ifs in rocks..

sfa isnt for everyone

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
35's is a small tire to put on a SAS without toweirng them. The way thse frames are designed you will have to replace or modifiy the original LCS front xmember to have enough compression for leaves to clear. Cajun4x4's SAS has 3" ORU hangers and 4" lift leafs and he clears 38's and he is LOW. Granted fender trim is a must on SAS rigs.
SAS can be done but when trying to keep it somewhat low causes some issues.
Answer to yourself:
How often do you wheel it?
what trail will you run?
If you plan on keeping 35's for a few years i suggest a 6" IFS kit and learn your vehicles habits offroad, then you can possibly later sas IF you decide you want bigger. You can find a decent used kit for about half the cost of a new one and wheel it. Granted a SAS isnt that hard, it takes some mecahanical common sense and fabrication skills. Also a good budget to keep up with the endless supply of crap that will go wrong during the process.

·
CENTEXOFFROAD
1,348 Posts
you will spend around 1500- 2000 for an IFS lift, then another 800-1000 for a regear, for sas, you will start with spending at least 2000-3000 on axles with a regear, then, another 1500 for the kit with steering, then 500-1000 for the front lift, then 500-1000 for the rear lift, it goes on and on and on, go IFS and when you have about 5000-8000 saved up, start gathering parts for a SAS

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
You can do an SAS for close to what you'd pay for an IFS lift, I did. To do a budget SAS you'll have to shop around for parts, and not go too crazy on some stuff like hydro assist steering or rediculous axle parts, lockers, fox remotes shocks, etc. I'm running a open D44, crossover steering and the 14SF i already had in the truck. I didn't re-gear as of now (which isn't too bad in a RCSS). I'm running 52" springs from the rear of a 77K15 and my stock rears with a shackle flip and block. I'm also running a custom anti-swaybar with disconnects. It seriously handles like it did stock, rides great, etc. Un-pin the swaybar and it flexes 14" at all 4 corners.

It was the best decision I have made.
Total cost (including wheels and tires) $4,200

The biggest money saving things is to wait and find deals on parts, as well as having fabrication skills. Many of the things involved iwth the truck would have cost a ton more if I would have had to have them fabricated for me.

35's is a small tire to put on a SAS without toweirng them. The way thse frames are designed you will have to replace or modifiy the original LCS front xmember to have enough compression for leaves to clear. Cajun4x4's SAS has 3" ORU hangers and 4" lift leafs and he clears 38's and he is LOW. Granted fender trim is a must on SAS rigs.
SAS can be done but when trying to keep it somewhat low causes some issues.
I did my truck with 52" leaves and 35s up front. Used custom front front mounts and mounts from a 77 GMC in the front rear. I flat plated the front crossmember for clearance and also changed the mount for the anti-swaybar so it had as much up-travel as possible. I don't have any fender or bumper trimming happening, although it does hit the back of the wheel-well on full compression if it's turned. I'm sitting about 1" taller than my buddy's 6" ifs truck in front and 2" in the rear.

Oh yeah, I DD the truck more than I do the 02. Put over 14k on it since the SAS (little over a year). Gets about 16mpg highway still with 3.73s and 35s.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,900 Posts
You must not be aware of Milly's current status or future:crazy: She's been road hard and put away wet, but she is not ok as a result.
I think I am unaware..... IIRC isnt she getting a 60 up front

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I think I am unaware..... IIRC isnt she getting a 60 up front
Yeah because that cepek is Fawked and all the IFS mounts are tweaked. Geoff drug that truck everywhere he pointed it.

·
Ultimate IFS Pirate
1,907 Posts
I need SAS. Milly has been a dedicated trail rig for years. The suspension is currently viable and has far outlasted it's intended use but it has it's limitations. I need a locker and tires. I cannot clear bigger tires without clearancing the firewall and I don't want wet feet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts