GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.....well my Airlift bracket snapped a few months ago and replaced the bracket along with a new belt. I bought a belt that was supposed to be compataible to the Napa 7315. It was a lil wider and it snapped after a few drives or so and took the serpentine with it :crazy: :flame: . Then I got the 7315 and it fit much better but seemed like the pulley was mis-aligned. Everything has been fine for 2 1/2 months til yesterday the belt snapped and took the serpentine again and messed up the alternator supposedly the shop said somehow and overheated. So new serpentine, alternator and belt.....I wanna try to prevent this from happening! I was on it when it snapped yesterday passing people....I mean since I have the edc am I supposed to drive like a girl? LOL I just dont want to keep having to replace belts and whatever else is takes out! I can get some pics later....as far as I know there's no way to adjust the compressor tho cause it has a bracket and bolts right up correct? :pissed: :insane: :think:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine has blown 2 belts also too many rpms,engine is at 5000 that little ass pully is doing twice as much. when engine rpm drop from shift cluch on compresor does not want to stop thus smoking the belt.Not what you want to hear but the truth.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
tps switch to disengage compressor clutch above 1/2 throttle?

·
Serious!
1,546 Posts
I know why. Its because when the clutch re-engages the head has so much pressure that it cant turn it so somthing has to give. You need to install a preasure switch with a blow off valve and a check valve inline. I did that to mine an it is ship shape. It also improves the compressors life aswell.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
My air lift kit came with a blow off valve, and when you install it is lets the pressure off the head so that doesn't happen.

·
Serious!
1,546 Posts
the only other thing I can think of is make your own. Its not really snapping. the vibration is making the metal crack. I would try to make some supports for the compressor.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
drawing would be awesome yea I dont think the shop installed the blowoff valve....

·
Registered
71 Posts
With truck shifting gears and pullys slow down inertia keeps clutch spinning mine has pressure relief valve and clutch was not enguaged but with chip shi
fts @5500 rpm @wot

·
The early stache
2,503 Posts
I use napa heavy duty belt, part #4L290W. Not sure if that's the same or similar to your 7315. It's green and says heavy duty on the package. I have about 5k miles on it with no problems. That sucks that your brakets are breaking. I like the idea of the pressure switch with blow off valve to take pressure off of the comp for startup.

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
i switched to a top cog belt (cross reference for part #) and just some washers to align my idle pulley. i also made a piece to move the idler more to the center in between the double pulley and clutch, it was really close to that huge balancer. it only squeals and the motors at a high rpm and i let off the gas quickly. it could be my serp belt though:hmm: it works flawlessly and its real quiet and fast, electrics just dont hack it.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i switched to a top cog belt (cross reference for part #) and just some washers to align my idle pulley. i also made a piece to move the idler more to the center in between the double pulley and clutch, it was really close to that huge balancer. it only squeals and the motors at a high rpm and i let off the gas quickly. it could be my serp belt though:hmm: it works flawlessly and its real quiet and fast, electrics just dont hack it.
so u put spacers between the pulley and comp? Hmmmm that might work.....I like my 480's too but EDC is air on demand. I could use the 480's for backup and that would be awesome! :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whats a good brand blow off valve and where do I hook that up to?

·
The early stache
2,503 Posts
I've heard square D are good. It's built into the pressure switch so you just replace your existing switch. I hear they are big and bulky though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts