GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Just some fuckin guy
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kinda stuff are you guys using to polish your chrome and wax/seal your trucks? Im gonna start getting my bikes around for spring which includes detailing them and want something better than my meguiers wax and turtle wax chrome polish. Seems like dust just sticks to that stuff. I been looking at Adams washes/waxes/sealants and theres ALOT of choices. im mainly looking for some good stuff for the chrome because thats where i really notice the dust, especially on the sportster since it has fuckpiles of chrome.

·
Super Moderator
5,818 Posts
I just use turtle wax chrome polish. And if I’m feelin frisky I’ll finish it off with griots wax.

Most of the Adams stuff is over priced imo. I went through a stage with them. And chem guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,696 Posts
Carnauba type wax's tend to collect dust and some colors show worse than others. Sometimes I use a synthetic topper over carnauba like Chemical Guys V7 but I really can't tell the difference in the dust but It gives a nice sacrificial gloss.

I use mothers chrome polish for chrome then just use Windex or Stoners Invisible Glass for maintenance cleaning the chrome. The Windex removes any polish residue which tends to collect the dust.

Adams is over priced enthusiast detail products. Join the forum over at Autogeek to see and learn what the pros use. Very little if any professional detailers use Adams products.

Paint correction on a friends Harley using the polish/windex on the chrome.

Black Harley paint is some of the softest paint I've come across. Scratches very easily and micromars with a to aggressive pad/polish combination.

50/50

You can see the Stoners glass and Mothers chrome polish bottles in this pic.

Hammered saddlebags

Un-hammered

·
Just some fuckin guy
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the chem guys 3 stage compound set off amazon a while ago and it worked great on my truck. The paint on both bikes are still really nice so i doubt ill buff them, and theyre both blue btw lol.

I was just curious if you guys have found something better for the chrome or if there was a sealer that helped cut down on dust collection. Im definitely using that glass cleaner between polishes now that i know. Red do you use any spray wax between washes?

Any thoughts on the chem guys honeydew wash vs Adams car soap? I have a reverse osmosis system btw so water spots arent a thing.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,696 Posts
I got the chem guys 3 stage compound set off amazon a while ago and it worked great on my truck. The paint on both bikes are still really nice so i doubt ill buff them, and theyre both blue btw lol.

I was just curious if you guys have found something better for the chrome or if there was a sealer that helped cut down on dust collection. Im definitely using that glass cleaner between polishes now that i know. Red do you use any spray wax between washes?

Any thoughts on the chem guys honeydew wash vs Adams car soap? I have a reverse osmosis system btw so water spots arent a thing.
I used to use spray waxes on my trucks paint a lot but got tired of my CarPro "Dry Me Crazy" drying towels smearing the spray wax on the finish and glass after washing the truck.

I haven't used the Adams wash but have used the CG Honeydew. I'm now using Duragloss 902 (gallon) and really like it a lot. Dose well in my foam gun (not canon) too. It can be found at Advance Auto off the shelf. It's called Duragloss 901 in the quart size.

You can tell I've used a lot of spray waxs. The Meguires D156 is a synthetic spray way which doesn't smear a much as the Optimum, less expensive and can be found at places like Walmart in the smaller sizes called Meguires Ultimate Quick Wax. It's identical to the Professional D156 Spray Wax. This stuff is also great for door jambs and weather stripping together. Spray it on both, wipe it down to clean & protect the paint and rubber.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,939 Posts
I'm glad someone else said turtle wax chrome polish, I didn't want to get flamed. In my experience chrome polish/cleaner is a once in a while thing and like Red I use windex on almost all of the shiny bits. I don't wax a lot but when I do it's usually Meguiars. I use the Meguiars instant detailer after washing more than anything, and I hit the wheels with it sometimes too. When I did have motorcycles I used to just wash with warm soapy water and then dry with my leaf blower, then wipe the chrome down and call it a day. The blower is a great way to get water out of the hard to reach parts and keeps swirl marks to a minimum over time.

·
Just some fuckin guy
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used to use spray waxes on my trucks paint a lot but got tired of my CarPro "Dry Me Crazy" drying towels smearing the spray wax on the finish and glass after washing the truck.

I haven't used the Adams wash but have used the CG Honeydew. I'm now using Duragloss 902 (gallon) and really like it a lot. Dose well in my foam gun (not canon) too. It can be found at Advance Auto off the shelf. It's called Duragloss 901 in the quart size.

You can tell I've used a lot of spray waxs. The Meguires D156 is a synthetic spray way which doesn't smear a much as the Optimum, less expensive and can be found at places like Walmart in the smaller sizes called Meguires Ultimate Quick Wax. It's identical to the Professional D156 Spray Wax. This stuff is also great for door jambs and weather stripping together. Spray it on both, wipe it down to clean & protect the paint and rubber.

Foam gun as in straight off the garden hose? Thats what ive been looking at since i dont have a pressure washer.

I'm glad someone else said turtle wax chrome polish, I didn't want to get flamed. In my experience chrome polish/cleaner is a once in a while thing and like Red I use windex on almost all of the shiny bits. I don't wax a lot but when I do it's usually Meguiars. I use the Meguiars instant detailer after washing more than anything, and I hit the wheels with it sometimes too. When I did have motorcycles I used to just wash with warm soapy water and then dry with my leaf blower, then wipe the chrome down and call it a day. The blower is a great way to get water out of the hard to reach parts and keeps swirl marks to a minimum over time.
Lol i dont own a leaf blower. I usually just let my stuff air dry. The RO system doesnt leave water spots so i dont see a use in drying it off myself. I guess what im trying to do is just help them stay clean longer, which idk if thats possible since the sporty is my summer dd and we have a gravel drive at work

·
Super Moderator
5,818 Posts

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
And get these. Just wait till they put them on sale for $12. Work so well. Like pillows.

THE RAG COMPANY (4-Pack) 16 in. x 16 in. EAGLE EDGELESS 500 Professional Korean 70/30 Super Plush 500gsm Microfiber Detailing Towels (16x16, Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GXRG64I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lpYyCbAN1V0N7

I used to use those. To much lint. I use the rag company everest 800 and 1100 now. I like much better

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Just some fuckin guy
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought a bunch of the CG towels when i got their compund.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,939 Posts
I use Costco micro fiber towels. I don’t even wash them I just throw them away lol. Cost around $15 for about 6 months worth at the rate I go through them. Used to wash them but wife gets pissed cause the washer/dryer smell like chems

·
Super Moderator
5,818 Posts
I used to use those. To much lint. I use the rag company everest 800 and 1100 now. I like much better

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That do leave lint. I’ll have to try those other ones out once they go on sale. Cuz I’m cheap.

The chem guy drying towels are pretty good. Again when on sale. Both of them run 50% off amazon lightning deals all the time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts