GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up. Today and tomorrow, July 3-4, Best Buy has Kicker Comp subs 50% off. I'm headed there today for 2 12's for $100.

:big_banana_Dance:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Those are always on sale at best buy

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
They used to do buy one get one free on those, I guess they're "cheap" when you can get one free, but better if they're just 50% off? :hmm:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$100 and they sound good FTW...and the free ear buds was the deciding factor! LOL

·
Registered
792 Posts
What amp did u hook to it? I just heard they aren't that good. Only like a 150 rms

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
What amp did u hook to it? I just heard they aren't that good. Only like a 150 rms
Power handling isn't an indicator of how good they sound or how good they are. But, $100 for a pair of subs is gonna sound like $100 for a pair of subs. You never know how bad what you have is till you hear better.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Power handling isn't an indicator of how good they sound or how good they are. But, $100 for a pair of subs is gonna sound like $100 for a pair of subs. You never know how bad what you have is till you hear better.
For what I want them for they will do just fine for now. I really cannot justofy spending $400 on a pair of Sundowns...besides my wife would shit if I did. LOL

·
Registered
792 Posts
It's a pretty good indicator though isn't it? I mean the upper dollar speakers arent hanging around the 150 rms mark. You know more than me on speakers for sure I just always though it was a good thing to look at. Usually I hear its good around 250-400 rms?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
It's a pretty good indicator though isn't it? I mean the upper dollar speakers arent hanging around the 150 rms mark. You know more than me on speakers for sure I just always though it was a good thing to look at. Usually I hear its good around 250-400 rms?
It's not at all an indicator. Example, a Rainbow Vanadium 10 is 250 RMS. It's a very good sounding driver and they're over $500. You also run into the problem of ratings themselves, it's up to the manufacturer to put a number on it. A Sundown SA15 is rated at 600 RMS but you can burp over 7000 watts and not kill it. SA8 you can put 1500 watts on it for 24 seconds before it will die, its rated for 400 RMS. Flip side of that, take a Sony sub rated for 600 RMS and you'll be pushing its limits with 600 at best. Coil diameter isn't a direct indicator either.

http://m.crutchfield.com/mt/www.cru...al-K2-Power-33-KX.html?tp=111&un_jtt_redirect
Case in point. However, a good spl sub needs good power handling but one sq doesn't need much power. It's all about purpose. That being said, comps do suck IMO
SPL subs never have "accurate" power ratings. If you're using it for SPL, you're not looking at power handling. Example, original Nightshades are rated for 1500 RMS and we were doing 10,000 watt prototype testing before they were released. They weren't getting released if they wouldn't take 10,000 watt burps over and over.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Good info. So what's the best stuff to look for then? I've always just looked at price, rms, and peak

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
Good info. So what's the best stuff to look for then? I've always just looked at price, rms, and peak
There isn't a single spec that makes anything better than another. The best way to get the best thing for your budget is ask around, look at what people are doing with the stuff on forums and youtube, and trust your gut. Otherwise, you just need some disposable income to try the path less traveled and see if you come up lucky.

·
dodgin' potholes
786 Posts
To the OP, thanks brah! I picked up a set of 10's to experiment with. I've got Polk/MOMO 10's in a downfiring box in my nbs crew cab & am hoping these kickers will hit harder/lower. I'm throwing 400W RMS at them. This will be my 3rd or 4th set of kickers in the past 20 yrs or so.

·
Registered
792 Posts
There isn't a single spec that makes anything better than another. The best way to get the best thing for your budget is ask around, look at what people are doing with the stuff on forums and youtube, and trust your gut. Otherwise, you just need some disposable income to try the path less traveled and see if you come up lucky.
Thanks man. Ive heard good things about alpine type s but i might try these cheap bastards lol. Think they will sound good in a subthump dual 12 or 10 with a Alpine 450?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
To the OP, thanks brah! I picked up a set of 10's to experiment with. I've got Polk/MOMO 10's in a downfiring box in my nbs crew cab & am hoping these kickers will hit harder/lower. I'm throwing 400W RMS at them. This will be my 3rd or 4th set of kickers in the past 20 yrs or so.
Those polks are honestly much better. I've heard great things about em and everything I've done with em has ended up pretty dang good.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Thanks man. Ive heard good things about alpine type s but i might try these cheap bastards lol. Think they will sound good in a subthump dual 12 or 10 with a Alpine 450?
They should. The type s's and even type e's are great for the money. I'm putting 4 of the type e's in my gf's 2004 Cadillac SRX. It's going to end up pretty sweet

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
Type S's should do waaaaaaaaaaay better than Comp's.

·
not low enough
8,703 Posts
I can remember when Kicker was good stuff....oh well.
no... u remember when u never heard anything better... imo they havent gotten worse. they stayed the same. and ERR THING ELSE GOT BETTER!

kicker never was "good" imo. never understood why so many praised them.

and another thing. everything i say anything about subs at work most of the younger guys is like ooooo get a jackhammer...

really? just because pimp my ride put it in a car doesnt mean its the greatest thing ever.

same goes for jl audio.. yes. they are good subs. but for less money the same quality can be had. and for the same money alot better stuff can be bought. But again pimp my ride/unique whips really hyped jl audios name up. dont get me wrong atleast they are good quality subs. but not worth the price tag.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts