GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do they subs sound? I have a extended cab chevy and either will do a cutthrough or under the rear sear. Has anyone Heard 4 Solo X 12s...how does it sound and what watts would you need for just the sub?

How about the 18s? Would just 2 18 hit harder than 4 12s? How many watts do those take?

·
Registered
353 Posts
And an FYI its not the number of subs or watts, its how its set up.

Can't remember the name but there is on guy with one 10" DD and 2500 watts thats hits low 170's, the gates bronco hits high 160's with 48 10's and 48000 watts. :think:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So for 4 kicker 12s you would need 10-20k watts....

How much airspace??

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
4 12" SoloX's would be retarded. So would an 18 for any daily driver. Those 12s are too big, you cant fit them under your seat and give them the proper air space. You will have to remove the seat or cut through to the bed like you mentiond. If i were you id get some L5 or L7 10s, that would be plenty of punch. PLENTY!

·
Registered
353 Posts
You will have to call kicker and spend some time on the phone with a tech for that. Last I looked they didn't have any recommended enclosure designs.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do the solo x compare to teh L7?? Do you know what watts they take?

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Visit www.kicker.com . My cousin is a Sales Rep and custom installer for Stillwater Designs (Kicker). I talk with him much about the subs so when it comes to kicker i know my stuff. I have 2 10 L5s and they are seriously Boomin. Runnin off an 02KX600.1 AMP

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
5.3vortec said:
15" 2000 peak 1000 rms
12" 1500 peak 750 rms
10" 1200 peak 600 rms
8" 900 peak 450 rms
Those are L7 power ratings. In the right enclosure, the L7's can do both SQ and SPL, and more suited for street/daily driver systems.

The Solo X's are meant for strictly SPL. They handle/requires loads of power:
S18X = 5kw rms/10kw peak, S12X/S10X = 2.5kw rms/5kw peak.

Unless your going to strictly compete in SPL competitions, I wouldn't go with the Solo X's. There's a lot involved in terms of upgrading your electrical system when feeding the Solo X's. Also, from what I've read on other forums, the bigger the box (S18X~10^ft), the better for the X's.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
x6369x said:
Those are L7 power ratings. In the right enclosure, the L7's can do both SQ and SPL, and more suited for street/daily driver systems.

The Solo X's are meant for strictly SPL. They handle/requires loads of power:
S18X = 5kw rms/10kw peak, S12X/S10X = 2.5kw rms/5kw peak.

Unless your going to strictly compete in SPL competitions, I wouldn't go with the Solo X's. There's a lot involved in terms of upgrading your electrical system when feeding the Solo X's. Also, from what I've read on other forums, the bigger the box (S18X~10^ft), the better for the X's.
Listen to this man!

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
TheLlama said:
4 12" SoloX's would be retarded. So would an 18 for any daily driver. Those 12s are too big, you cant fit them under your seat and give them the proper air space. You will have to remove the seat or cut through to the bed like you mentiond. If i were you id get some L5 or L7 10s, that would be plenty of punch. PLENTY!
i have 2 12 L7s under my rear seats... and my seat isnt lifted, and i've got plenty of air space... :read:

the only setup i've seen that has 4 12s is Sierraon22s setup... which IMO is more of a visual effect... I'm pretty sure my system is louder than his.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
i have 2 12 L7s under my rear seats... and my seat isnt lifted, and i've got plenty of air space... :read:

the only setup i've seen that has 4 12s is Sierraon22s setup... which IMO is more of a visual effect... I'm pretty sure my system is louder than his.
And yours are 1500 Watt Peak. These Things are 5000. The coils are huge. Sure you could cram them in there and make them sound like shit, but to get your moneys worth in sound quality you would need a much deeper box than what can fit under the back seat. Solo X's were meant for competition.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If i were to want 4 l7 12's or 15's could it fit under the back seat with out lifting it? say for example i had 4 L712s what would be the absolute best recomded watts for it? Would i use one amp for each? What amp would you recomend? Ive never heard a system in a ext cab while being in the front. Will it move my seat and i will beable to feel my body move?

Are most people replacing all the other speakers in the cab?

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
sandaddiction said:
If i were to want 4 l7 12's or 15's could it fit under the back seat with out lifting it? say for example i had 4 L712s what would be the absolute best recomded watts for it? Would i use one amp for each? What amp would you recomend? Ive never heard a system in a ext cab while being in the front. Will it move my seat and i will beable to feel my body move?

Are most people replacing all the other speakers in the cab?
I'm no expert on the ext cab trucks, but from the pics and threads that I've seen, you're gonna be lucky to fit 2 10L7's under the rear seat without lifting it.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
x6369x said:
I'm no expert on the ext cab trucks, but from the pics and threads that I've seen, you're gonna be lucky to fit 2 10L7's under the rear seat without lifting it.
2 12s L7s under my rear seat no lifting. The biggest you can fit in a OBS truck is 2 10L7s. I've done it, it works. There isn't a way to fit 4 12s, don't even bother trying.

thellama, you can fit 2 12 L7s, i never said anything about a SoloX, as for as i'm concerned, it shouldn't ever be used :read: Any size.

bad pic, but 2 12s firing up...

·
Registered
343 Posts
if you want to fart, get the kickers. if you get the kickers, port them :ninja:

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
xtreme93fullsize said:
The seat being right on top of the sub cant be good on anything can it? :imo
It's ok as long as the sub doesn't hit the seat when moving. Also, the seat can somewhat muffle the sound.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts