GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Needs more black
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about putting a small system in my 08 Tahoe but don't want to spend much $$ on it. I would like to put a 10" JL Audio W3 sub and since I wanna keep my factory head unit and speakers I was planning on just buying a interface wiring harness.

Would a 12" sub have deeper bass?

My question is what ohm sub will I need and what kind of amp will I need to push it? Also how much space will I need in a box for that sub? Thanks for looking.

Thanks,
DwDrummer

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
do a single 12 imo.

look into some of the RE audio and Digital Design subs. dont join the JL bandwagon...

whats your price range, what music do you listen do, and im guessing your going for SQ over SPL?

·
Needs more black
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do a single 12 imo.

look into some of the RE audio and Digital Design subs. dont join the JL bandwagon...

whats your price range, what music do you listen do, and im guessing your going for SQ over SPL?
Well I'm really partial to JL subs, I'm a drummer so a like the low end thump of the kick drum and the JL's seem to have one of the cleanest subs that I've heard.

buy my dual slot port mtx box. it hits like a motherfucker. its this sans subs.

one of the best prefabbed boxes ive ever seen :imo
Thanks for the heads up on your box haywood, believe it or not I actual have a Rockford 10" and 12" enclosure loaded with a subs but they have light gray carpet and my truck is black!:crazy: What kind of price are you looking to get out of your set up? I used to have a MTX sub in my 99 SS and they do sound good.

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
i dunno, i just need the box out of my weight room. i paid $200 for the box two years ago. lol.. i had two ma audio 12s in it, but one blew so i just put a single box in it and now i have a sweet ass box sitting between my treadmill and my weight bench

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Well I'm really partial to JL subs, I'm a drummer so a like the low end thump of the kick drum and the JL's seem to have one of the cleanest subs that I've heard.
have u ever heard a DD sub or an RE sub?

so im gonna guess you listen to mainly rock and your gonna want more SQ...

post up over at caraudio.com forums. they can help you find a good sub for a good price. those guys are always selling some awesome stuff for crazy low prices

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
RE is the shit. i knew a guy in memphis whose good friends with a RE rep, and he used to have two re xxx (i think) 12s in his 300c and that mofo knocked. the bumper looked like it was gonna fall off everytime it hit.

·
Needs more black
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dunno, i just need the box out of my weight room. i paid $200 for the box two years ago. lol.. i had two ma audio 12s in it, but one blew so i just put a single box in it and now i have a sweet ass box sitting between my treadmill and my weight bench
LOL I hear ya man! I think right now I'm just leaning towards a single sub set up but if I change my mind I'll holla at ya. Thanks again for the heads up though!:shake:

have u ever heard a DD sub or an RE sub?

so im gonna guess you listen to mainly rock and your gonna want more SQ...

post up over at caraudio.com forums. they can help you find a good sub for a good price. those guys are always selling some awesome stuff for crazy low prices
Yeah I listen to more rock/metal stuff. I'll try to look into the RE stuff!

·
Tonysteve
477 Posts
if you want deeper bass you will need to go with a ported box. sealed is better for rock and metal but if you want that bass drop that a lot of metal bands are doing now a good ported box is the way to go.
Im a huge fan of the type r by alpine. a 10 or 12 in the right ported box will sound great. you would be saving yourself some money and get better sound if you actually build your box to the manufacturers recommendations instead of throwing the sub in an over priced pre fab box.

just take some music you like to listen to go to a local audio shop and test what they have to get a feel for what you like.

you wattage requirements and final impedence will be decided by whatever you find that you like. each sub is different. just stick with quality name brands. if its some crazy Korean brand that you havent heard of there is probably a reason the name hasnt gotten around much.

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
type r's are good but moody as hell. As proof i have three blown ones in my room at my parents house. all were blown at listening volume, the last one was blown to "save tonight" by eagle eye cherry. ROFL.

i was running a mtx 1501d pushing em with the amp half up.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
12" SSA Icon... its a SQ based sub.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts