GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i have my keys in and the drivers door open, that chime gets on my last nerve... is there any way to get rid of it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well you could get the CD player wiring harness with no chime speaker, and get an aftermarket (better) cd player. Its cheaper, and solves that problem.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
RHPF said:
Well you could get the CD player wiring harness with no chime speaker, and get an aftermarket (better) cd player. Its cheaper, and solves that problem.
:word: aftermarket cd and take the old one out,
i left mine under the seat for now

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Ive heard that in some trucks theres an actual speaker that is just for the chime...sometimes it through the door speakers tho. If there is one, all you would have to do is clip one wire...no power (or ground) and it won't make a sound...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
RedneckDude said:
Ive heard that in some trucks theres an actual speaker that is just for the chime...sometimes it through the door speakers tho. If there is one, all you would have to do is clip one wire...no power (or ground) and it won't make a sound...
Thats true for the OBS trucks, but the nbs trucks are through the radio etc. Big pita if you ask me...

On mine, my key is just so worn out I can wiggle it around and the buzzer stops :D

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Yeah, i didn't know if it worked in NBS trucks...but i have heard about it in some newer chevys (to me newer refers to newer than mine...lol) but since i don't personally have a NBS, i didn't know. I know my friends dakota has the speaker tho, and its a 2003, so i didn't know if GM still did it that way...

·
Broke
350 Posts
RHPF said:
What am i missing? I have an aftermarkey (pioneer) CD player in my truck and the chime still works...

2000 Silvy

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
RHPF said:

:nonono: Not for the 99-02 body trucks!

There's a lil box under your knees by the steering column. Keep that key in and follow that noise. It's about 5x5x1. Remove that thing, 3-4 harnesses and some assorted clips/screws. Easy stuff. Just keep the ol' eyes protected. Shit dropping is no good.

Set the box on a work bench/table/flat surgical area. :anitoof: Then open it up. You'll see within the confines of it, there's that lil bastard speaker that's all sorts of annoying. At this point you have a few options...
1. Leave it as is and make you crazy, but seeing as you are this far take care of it.
2. Put a piece of tape over the hole to quiet down the sound.
3. Utilize a small reaming device to kill that speaker.

I chose choice No 3. Few down sides are if you have your lights on during the day (if it's raining for i.e.) there is no chime to notify you that they are on. No low fuel chime but if you can see your fuel gauge you're mkay there. No change oil chime...no low coolant chime, etc. As long as you're an observant driver you should be fine.

:shake:

·
Loves yoga pants
2,414 Posts
Hit Man X said:
:nonono: Not for the 99-02 body trucks!

There's a lil box under your knees by the steering column. Keep that key in and follow that noise. It's about 5x5x1. Remove that thing, 3-4 harnesses and some assorted clips/screws. Easy stuff. Just keep the ol' eyes protected. Shit dropping is no good.

Set the box on a work bench/table/flat surgical area. :anitoof: Then open it up. You'll see within the confines of it, there's that lil bastard speaker that's all sorts of annoying. At this point you have a few options...
1. Leave it as is and make you crazy, but seeing as you are this far take care of it.
2. Put a piece of tape over the hole to quiet down the sound.
3. Utilize a small reaming device to kill that speaker.

I chose choice No 3. Few down sides are if you have your lights on during the day (if it's raining for i.e.) there is no chime to notify you that they are on. No low fuel chime but if you can see your fuel gauge you're mkay there. No change oil chime...no low coolant chime, etc. As long as you're an observant driver you should be fine.

:shake:
That little box is the BCM (body control module)...not cheap to replace if you fuck it up either.

Others have mentioned using a harness with an aftermarket radio...that only works for the 03-04 trucks.

Here's an idea jj...pull the key out when the door is open...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah that BCM is expensive, but if you're not foolhardy with any removal you should be fine.

If you're scared to poke/prod in the box, just tape over that speaker to keep the sound level down. But it's very easy to kill the speaker, it's no larger than the size of a 5¢ coin.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pat... i just want the chime dead for when i'm cleanin my interior and have the radio on... but no i wont ever keep it on long enough for the battery to go dead haha

·
Registered
1 Posts
All i do is push the little latch down on the door when its open and the noise stops. But if you do that you have to remember to pull the door handle and the little latch will go back up.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
hovisimo said:
pull your key out about 1/4" and the chime will stop. works on all vehicles.

:nonono: the key in any position in the ignition in my WRX sill makes that chime. lol

·
GMFS founding member
4,012 Posts
Hit Man X said:
:nonono: the key in any position in the ignition in my WRX sill makes that chime. lol
ok, almost any car.

worked on my tundra, sierra, and works on the ram. this is an overly complicated problem... i was exploring the option of cutting wires, getting a chime-eliminating harness for the new radio, then someone told me i could pull the key out a little and i was like "shit!"

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
LOL, well same goes for a '96 LS400 :anitoof:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just pull the little black box out from under the dash on the drivers side on OBS's. Thats what i did.

·
Loves yoga pants
2,414 Posts
pewter00 said:
pat... i just want the chime dead for when i'm cleanin my interior and have the radio on... but no i wont ever keep it on long enough for the battery to go dead haha
You just need to start the truck up then...turn on the a/c with the doors open and keep cool while you're detailing...I do that all the time...lol

·
Registered
274 Posts
well i know on my 02 that if you have the chime going and you pull the door panel off and unplug the window switched then the chime stops. mine comes trough the speaker. altough i didnt disconnect the speaker, it still stoped when i unplug the switches

1 - 20 of 22 Posts