GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my truck back in feb. killed the trans in march, had it rebuilt and its slipping in second now. I paid 600 for a bench build and the warranty was for 90 days. its past 90 days now.

My question is am I doing something wrong? I don't drag or race my truck. the most towing it does is a utility trailer with a street bike on it. Should I cough up the money and buy a texas speed built unit or find a different shop? the shop that built it the first time came highly recommended. I plan to keep the 5.3 and just have bolt ons and bb tune eventually.

Thanks guys!!!! :beer:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't found a shop locally that specializes in performance trans. A stock rebuild is 750 and after core the Texas speed unit would cost 1900

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just having a hard time understanding why I keep killing trans when I'm not even hard in them. All I had in it was a vette servo

·
Registered
732 Posts
The way i see it...you bought an older truck that you dont know the whole history on. A trans will eventually die and you just so happened to get it at the end of life. The rebuilt wasnt done correctly and now you are having issues. Even reputable shops can mess up every once in a while

·
GM Veteran
607 Posts
Try another shop IMO. 1900 is a lot of money. The trans shop could have fucked up something. 90 days is a shit warranty BTW for something not considered performance

·
Registered
732 Posts
Most reputable trans shops provide at least a year warranty on their builds.
This too....kinda weird to only put 90 days on it IMO

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
I would go back to the shop that built it first and see if they are willing to help any with it .. if not find somewhere else

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
I would go back to the shop that built it first and see if they are willing to help any with it .. if not find somewhere else
This. You said you had it built in march? It's barely over 90 days at this point. Sounds like the shop done screwed up.

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I talked to the shop today he told me it would be middle of next week before he could even have time to look at it. Not to excited about that.

Stopped and checked out a shop a few of the mechanics at work recommended. He said for what my intended purpose of my truck is a stock rebuild is more than enough. He said he always recommends a larger external cooler for the 4l60's to keep the fluid cool and keep from burning up the clutch packs.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tru cool 40k seems to be what everyone is going with on performancetrucks.net I went ahead and ordered one last night.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yea I think im going to order one as well...can't hurt

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered my vette servo from Oregon performance trans. Great place. I ordered Tuesday night had it Thursday afternoon and I'm in ga. I guess my next "mod" will be a escalade or 2500 cluster to keep a eye on the trans temp.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I got a built trans im considering selling but havent listed it anywhere you interested? FLT LVL6 with a 3200 stall yank billet converter. Just throwning it out there has 30K on it.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Either you are driving around like a dick or it was a poor rebuild.

My Century built "good for 500 hp" trans died behind a tuned 5.3. The stock replacement out of a wrecked truck has already made it longer. When I researched it, a stock built by GM trans seems to last much longer than local rebuilt ones. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Either you are driving around like a dick or it was a poor rebuild.

My Century built "good for 500 hp" trans died behind a tuned 5.3. The stock replacement out of a wrecked truck has already made it longer. When I researched it, a stock built by GM trans seems to last much longer than local rebuilt ones. YMMV.

Its not who is building it, it has to do with the compnents used. Use shitty brand X clutches yeah it wont last as long. A builder can do things to lengthen the life but without quality parts you aint got shit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts