GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi a newbie here,
I have a 1/2 Ton 2003 Sierra 4.3L with around 24,000 miles. I think the trany clunking started before I heard the motor start is knocking, but from what i can tell it shifts hard(enough that you can kinda feel it and hear it) in/out of gears and it does it even worse when I have to stop faster than normal or take off faster than normal. Sometimes I'll be stoped at a light and try to take off and it will take a few seconds to catch. Well thats whats happening with the trany, but a few weeks ago I started heard a slight knocking comeing from the motor mostly when its cold, but even after it warms up you can still hear it and just in the last few days the knocking has been getting louder when its cold and louder when its warm. I plan on taking it in to the shop since its still under warranty, but I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me explain to the dealer what might be happening, or if its something that I can do myself with out haveing to mess with the dealer. Anything will help, thanks.

·
Draggers Inc.
58 Posts
the knocking could be as simple as an oil filter but that's hard to say but i've seen it fix one before.the tranny could be the torque converter i've seen that alot of times but this is my best guess

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like if the filter got crushed from the wrench when it was put on. I recently changed my oil and the filter the dealer put on last time I had it serviced was caved in, but I'm all most positive I did do that when I recently did the change.

·
Draggers Inc.
58 Posts
i've seen 2 gm trucks knock because they were running another brand of filter i would put an ac delco filter.u need to have the filter as tight as u can get it with your hand but when u take it off u will need a wrench it might not fix it but i've seen it fix them before.when u start to put the new filter on wipe some oil on the rubber seal.

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
the tranny could be the slip yoke... there was a TSB out on the 4L60E slip yoke and U-joint because it wasnt getting greased correctly, i know my truck has it. so when i take off from a stop or put it in reverse get a loud clunk. when you take your truck in mention that to them as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts