GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I have a 2005 z71, it has the L33 motor in it, it has 132k miles on it, no blow by and no blue smoke on start up or when driving. I had my oil changed about 2000 miles ago by GM, and now my check oil level shows up on the dash when I start it. I've asked GM what they think and they said that they said they would charge me 500 dollars to just look into it... I was thinking PCV valve..? What is the problem! Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have you actually checked the oil level?? It could be that the oil level sensor or if its the oil pressure warning then the pressure sensor could be the problem. I work for gm and have changed quite a few of the sensors at the back of the valley cover

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Check the PCV valve, and make sure you, or a previous owner didn't swap the PCV valve to the old style at one point. The old style still tends to pop up on some parts store catalogs/systems. You should have a PCV valve with a small orifice in it, if you have the old/normal style with the rattle ball inside, that may be your problem, it is known to suck up much more oil on these engines.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have checked the oil level, it almost bone dry! I seriously don't know where it's going, I've asked gm about the pcv valve and they didn't even know where it was. There not much help. Which pcv valve should be on this truck? The new style?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Actually, I could be wrong, I noticed yours is a 2005, IIRC in 2004, the PCV valve was made into the valve cover and not replaceable, so you may have a different issue. Check your VC, if it has the replaceable PCV, then make sure it is the orifice style.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,462 Posts
As said before they might have only put 5 qts in. Mine would lose a qt over 6000 mi.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You need to remove your intake tube and look into the throttle body and tr and see if oil is puddled in the intake. I know on the 07 and newer they have a new valve cover to help with this problem because the oil gets sucked into the intake

·
ya gotta pay to play
7,583 Posts
In just a few quick searches I found a few people's problem being a dud valve cover with the fixed PCV. Also some talk about the piston rings used in the l33 allowing oil consumption

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
thats not true Brett the L33 is the god off motors. hahaha
I would check the valve covers

·
ya gotta pay to play
7,583 Posts
thats not true Brett the L33 is the god off motors. hahaha
I would check the valve covers
Hey that's what was in the first 2 searches In google lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay guys I'll check the valve covers for the pcv. There is no leaks anywhere I can find. Thanks, anymore more ideas let me know!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Refill, check regularly. Could be a drain bolt or filter not sealing, as well. Going 2000 miles and having oil go "bone dry" is pretty fast.

·
TTG shawty
3,101 Posts
I always put in 6.5 quarts in my 6.0L... I bought it with 111k miles and from that point until I sold it 3 years later with 155k miles, I noticed it would always use at least a 1 quart to 1-1/2 quarts every 3k miles... I just figured it was normal, I towed every once in a while and I was lugging around some 37" tires...

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,462 Posts
Re: Re: L33 5.3 using oil?!? What's the problem!

I always put in 6.5 quarts in my 6.0L... I bought it with 111k miles and from that point until I sold it 3 years later with 155k miles, I noticed it would always use at least a 1 quart to 1-1/2 quarts every 3k miles... I just figured it was normal, I towed every once in a while and I was lugging around some 37" tires...
Csb

L33 is a 5.3

·
Registered
213 Posts
My wife's 09 Tahoe with the 5.3 was doing this and I took it to the dealership because it was still under warranty and they replaced the left valve cover and dropped the oil pan and installed a oil defector. Haven't had any issues with it since.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
well my first oil change in my lm7 i put 6 qts in. not sure where it is sitting now after about 1000 miles. i also put a catch can in today so ill see how that goes.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
One of my friends has a L33 in his '06 Z71 w/ only 55K and it's doing the same thing...he bought the valve cover (@$80 iirc) we just have to put it on. No smoke, leaks, etc but the tailpipe/tip do seem to have an abnormal amount of soot compared to other NBS trucks we've both owned in the past.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
My l33 is doing the same, i didnt read anything but isnt the pcv valve non interchangable?

Fuck i burn a quart or a little more every 3k

1 - 20 of 40 Posts