GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else had this prob???

First it was with my friends Avalanche with the same wheels I have. His went out at 35k miles.

Now that I've put about 40k miles with his 23s on, my tahoe is developing the same grinding noise coming from the front driver side axle.

It'll grind for 5 minutes than go away. Happened today again but went away after 5 min.

I'm pretty sure im looking at a big bill here soon. I know the effects that oversize wheels put on driving components but its strange that my friends truck and my trucks' bearing failed within the same mileage span.

Could it be that this particular Kmc wheel is causing the prob?????

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
hmm im guessing its just a coinsidence that you have near the same milage, the extra weight is probably the cause of the failure though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
yeah it happened to me after I lowered and changed tire size...BE CAREFULL MY BEARING TOTALLY COLLAPSED AND ALLOWED THE HUB TO MOVE AROUND LIKE A JOYSTICK THE GRINDING YOU ARE HEARING IS THE ANTILOCK BRAKES SLIGHTLY ENGAGING. I almost ran into the back of someone becasue it got so bad that they wouldn't disengage. Get the aftermarkets from NAPA they are much better construction and like a third of the cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank u all for replying

blwclvl, i think you maybe rite. it does sound like my brakes were grinding. hasnt ever happened before though.

does the anti brakes engaging something the wheels have caused?

·
Loves yoga pants
2,412 Posts
blwclvl said:
yeah it happened to me after I lowered and changed tire size...BE CAREFULL MY BEARING TOTALLY COLLAPSED AND ALLOWED THE HUB TO MOVE AROUND LIKE A JOYSTICK THE GRINDING YOU ARE HEARING IS THE ANTILOCK BRAKES SLIGHTLY ENGAGING. I almost ran into the back of someone becasue it got so bad that they wouldn't disengage. Get the aftermarkets from NAPA they are much better construction and like a third of the cost.
Have any part numbers? How much, roughly, were they from NAPA?

I think mine is going out on the passenger front. My 99 only has 54k on it though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The I would have tolook at my receipts....any good mechanic will tell you to replace both sides at the same time. I remember getting both of them for lik 310.00. From gm it was like 500 and change. If I find the part number I will post it. I was told it was due to the weight of the wheel and taking curves fast becasue that displaces the weight. The aftermarkets from NAPA looked a hundred percent better than the factory. Factory had an opening on the backside of the hub where as NAPA was totally sealed to outside elements. Really easy to change out as long as you know how to change the brakes you can change out this hub.

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
I dont see how having big rims would be any more hard/stressfull on the vehicle than other wheels/tires? I'd think that us offroad guys would be more affected by this than anybody. You cant tell me that those 23's and tiny-sidewalled tires are heavier or more stress-inducing than my wheels/tires.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Grant said:
I dont see how having big rims would be any more hard/stressfull on the vehicle than other wheels/tires? I'd think that us offroad guys would be more affected by this than anybody. You cant tell me that those 23's and tiny-sidewalled tires are heavier or more stress-inducing than my wheels/tires.
:word:

i know a few folks that have huge tires and i have never heard about this issue but then again i know a guy at work that has some chrome rims (20's) that cant keep them balanced very long and asked me about mine (i dont have any problems keeping them balanced)

i have a therory...
its probally has nothing to do with it but if you drive around with unbalnced tires/rims would that throw off the concentric rolling mass and inturn fuck up the hubs?
:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
blwclvl said:
The I would have tolook at my receipts....any good mechanic will tell you to replace both sides at the same time. I remember getting both of them for lik 310.00. From gm it was like 500 and change. If I find the part number I will post it. I was told it was due to the weight of the wheel and taking curves fast becasue that displaces the weight. The aftermarkets from NAPA looked a hundred percent better than the factory. Factory had an opening on the backside of the hub where as NAPA was totally sealed to outside elements. Really easy to change out as long as you know how to change the brakes you can change out this hub.
are you saying NAPA sells the hub assemblies for 150 each?

·
Registered
177 Posts
my passenger side hub went out at about 25k mi, 22k of those were on 35s. when the hub went out the abs light came on and i had it towed to the dealership, I just told them the abs light came on even though i knew the hub was fuct. When i went to pick it up they told me they replaced the hub and they would only cover it this time, that they usually dont because of the lift and big tires. BS if they covered it once, theyre gonna have to cover it if it goes out again.

There was another truck there with a bad hub, he had a 6" lift and 33s. I think the alignment had a lot to do with the hub going bad, as well as the wieght and offset of larger wheels and tires.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
i had to replace my entire rack and pinion set at 35K mi. GM calls this the steering gear. this was a direct cause from my heavy ass 20s and tires. i almost doubled the weight of the stock tires and wheels. believe it or not grant, some of those lowpro tires are actually HEAVY as hell.
if i owned your tahoe, i would go get it looked at by someone that aligns vehicles. i have a friend that is certified, and can usually tell me if im right or wrong. but i would def. take it to someone, rather that then buy parts you might not need.

·
5.5MPG!!!!!!!All Day Long
123 Posts
Grant said:

i agree.........my tires mounted wit rims weigh 124 lbs each. and i know my heavy ass tall truck puts alot of stress on my front end when takin a fairly hard corner. and i aint got no bearing prolem

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
the 2wd non HD bearings are weak, your bearings mark are WAY beefier.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Big D said:
i agree.........my tires mounted wit rims weigh 124 lbs each. and i know my heavy ass tall truck puts alot of stress on my front end when takin a fairly hard corner. and i aint got no bearing prolem

You need to take something else into consideration...where as you may have not changed to different bearings you have changed most of the suspension compnents on your front end. It is a few factors not just the one thing.

1) bigger the wheel the smaller the tire=more hard road conditions
2) static drop=harder suspension conditions
3) I'm no mechanic all I know is what has been told to me by more than one mechanic who are friends of mine and because it happened to me. It is only a problem on the NBS because you can't regrease the bearings.

·
5.5MPG!!!!!!!All Day Long
123 Posts
blwclvl said:
You need to take something else into consideration...where as you may have not changed to different bearings you have changed most of the suspension compnents on your front end. It is a few factors not just the one thing.

1) bigger the wheel the smaller the tire=more hard road conditions
2) static drop=harder suspension conditions
3) I'm no mechanic all I know is what has been told to me by more than one mechanic who are friends of mine and because it happened to me. It is only a problem on the NBS because you can't regrease the bearings.

i can buy that.......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts