GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, you can probably tell I'm new... so i have a few questions.
What is a good complete airbag setup that my dad could have installed at a fab. shop?

ALso with C-notches doesnt that ruin the structural integrity of the frame? My dad pulls a 8x12 single axel trailer with two fourwheelers on it a few times a month. Would this still be possible?

What would it take to lay frame on 20s? 22s? Any help is appreciated!

Later- Dalton

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
You can still tow with a bagged truck...and if anything, notches done right make the frame stronger...make sure he gets good products...none of this AIM/Chassistech/etc bullshit...

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Mr.Badwrench said:
Ok, you can probably tell I'm new... so i have a few questions. What is a good complete airbag setup that my dad could have installed at a fab. shop?
ALso with C-notches doesnt that ruin the structural integrity of the frame? My dad pulls a 8x12 single axel trailer with two fourwheelers on it a few times a month. Would this still be possible?
What would it take to lay frame on 20s? 22s? Any help is appreciated!
What year truck is it, is it a 1500 model?

As for setups, I'd say either use Air Ride http://www.ridetech.com or KP Components http://www.kpcomponents.com .. I've never dealt with him, but everyone says to talk to Larry at Innovative Air Suspension http://www.innovativeairsuspension.com/ and he will treat you right.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
you don't want a canti setup for your truck if you want to tow. Other setups ride okay at best.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
if he got the canti he wouldn't be able to tow for shit. With a 2:1 lift ratio... The air bar or a AOL setup would be the only way to do it if you wanted to tow. I personally wouldn't bag a truck that i needed to tow with though...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:insane: scratch the 22s idea then... If he decides to do bags which is why im gettin info to convince him..i dont think he'll want to chop anymore than he has to. He's gonna pass it down when im 16... by then ill have to caddy clip it and if he doesnt i willl definately bag it. He's lookin into a 1500 crew cab I think he'll have one soon because of the good GMS discount he gets. (he works at the arlington plant buildin yukons, yukon XLs suburbans and tahoes)

I got to tour the plant a few times... its amazing later- Dalton

fother mucker!!!! i edited the wrong post! bah :pissed:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
if he got the canti he wouldn't be able to tow for shit. With a 2:1 lift ratio... The air bar or a AOL setup would be the only way to do it if you wanted to tow. I personally wouldn't bag a truck that i needed to tow with though...
I agree with useing the airbar if you tow regularly. Also box the frame, from the cab back.

Bagged trucks ride just fine when done right, when done wrong they ride like crap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
scratch the 22s idea then... If he decides to do bags which is why im gettin info to convince him..i dont think he'll want to chop anymore than he has to. He's gonna pass it down when im 16... by then ill have to caddy clip it and if he doesnt i willl definately bag it. He's lookin into a 1500 crew cab I think he'll have one soon because of the good GMS discount he gets. (he works at the arlington plant buildin yukons, yukon XLs suburbans, tahoes and escalades)

I got to tour the plant a few times... its amazing later- Dalton

You guys ever heard of the Clark Bros. body shop in arlington or D/FW area?

1,932 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
...I personally wouldn't bag a truck that i needed to tow with though...
I bagged my 89 1-ton with ART 1-ton airbar. i towed our 2 jet-skis, a small 16 foot car trailer with anything from junk to a car on it reguerly (5-6 times a month), a car dolly, and once a month i would tow my drivers ed's teachers 5th wheel horse trailer with 4 show horses to columbus, all with no problems, well one mr. B got pissed when i aired out the truck with the trailer the first time cause it scares the horses.

After towing all these for a summer, I personally would rather tow with a bagged truck with the right setup.

for your dad i would say suicidedoors.com 4-link with behind the axel brackets with F2107 sleeve bags. for a notch i would go with suicidedoors.com step notch, going to need a panhard bar and why not box the rear half of the frame. im pretty sure this will be more than enough for the rear to tow what you want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The 99+ are all hydroformed frames and are already somewhat boxed... so you dont want to go weld crazy on these things or you can loose some of the structural integrity of the frame especially. To set a truck up on air and still be able to fully utilize it as a tow vehicle is completely plausible and is a good idea. Think about it..... you are able to adjust for practically any load or road condition to better the handling and the ride quality. That is why 95% of you big rigs on the road are on air.

Tony....

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
Even with just a stock air suspension, our Navi is freakin awesome at towing. I hardly notice a difference with or without our 3500 boat. Air is the way to go.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
gotta(be)low said:
Even with just a stock air suspension, our Navi is freakin awesome at towing. I hardly notice a difference with or without our 3500 boat. Air is the way to go.
auto leveling springs are completely different than an air bagged truck...

Well, i'd rather just have a stock truck to tow, since everyone made a comment about that... I just think it would be alot more of a pain to have it bagged and to tow. YOu would either have to have small air tanks or have them mounted in the bed(i like my bed clutter free). If you had any kindof leak in the back bags, you would have to hit them up alot. And its just alot more things that CAN go wrong. I've never seen a leaf spring break or anything like that... Yea sure, towing with air can be great, but if i had to tow something, my first thoughts wouldn't be to bag the truck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts