GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove the center bolt that holds my leaf spring together? I know size of the nut on top...but under it, the head dosent even feel like a bolt, it is just kinda round and smooth. How do i take this bolt off? Sorry for the inacurate description, but someone must know what i am talkin about. Also with the belltech flip kit, does it come with another bolt to put in there or do i use the same one? Last question is how do I replace the leaf spring bushings?

Again sorry for the inacuracy of the descriptions.
Thanks for any help

Brian

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
just put some vice grips on the bottom pin. It shouldnt be torqued down to much. Make sure you have something holding teh leaf pack together or its going to come apart all over :read:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, should i use the same bolt that came out of it to put it back in? The flip kit i got comes with a cup that mounts through that hole, that is why i need to take it off. Also how hard is it to replace those bushings in the leaf spring?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I wouldn't use the old ones over...new ones at napa are like $2.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
If the bushings are on your 86 its gonna be a pain. You have to drill them out then beat them out or press them out....definately not a fun job.
Like Stephen said, use some vise grips on the centerbolt head, once you break it loose, the nut will come off, but as stated put some c-clamps on each side of the bolt to keep the pack together. Get new centerbolts if you can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts