GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no way around it, I need to learn how to weld good. Its not that I dont want to, its that I dont know where to start. It would be super usefull to me and I have access to some welders. Where do I start? Anyone know some reading I can do? Any advice would be awsome. What different kinds of welders are there? I will probably look into buying one sooner than later.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Best thing to buy would be a MIG. Easiest to use and any n00b can make an ok weld with one... Theres nothing better to help learning how to weld than just doing it... Thats what I did, I took a class at my local community college and bought a small MIG and started playing in the garage with it till I got good. And now I've bought a big boy Lincoln Power Mig 255 and it's an awesome machine. When you do buy, make sure it's a 220v model and that it is a MIG and not just a wire feed. Oh yeah, search pirate, lots of good welding info in there as far as direction, pattern, stickout, amperage, voltage, cfm, etc.

·
Registered
832 Posts
DE before you buy something just register at Dallas community college. They offer the classes. Im going to take classes at Tarrant county college this summer they offer everytype. Its cheap they provide everything. Good way to start.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may do that, or take one down in houston.

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
:word: Lots of community colleges offer welding classes. Like Dan said, TCC offers welding classes.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Learning to weld is on my list too... I learned in junior high, was decent with that big ass lincoln arc welder...but it would probably be good to take a class :)

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im starting to look into summer classes at cy-fair, you should join me.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I was going to take the class route, and i was imatient and went to a local fabrication shop and grabbed some 1/4 3/8 and what not. Penetration is key. I started weldin with a 135 amp mig. Def buy a 220 if your getting one. My first project was actually shavin most of my truck, and sheetmetal is tough as shit. I started this august, and i just got done putting a four link in and fabricating a new cross member, so it shouldn't take long to pick up. Penetration and prepping the metal are your biggest keys. Good luck

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
My grandpa the welding god taught me how to weld. That old man is amazing with metal. When I first started my welds looked like bubble gumm, but I have gotten a lil better and every now and then I can lay a clean bead. It takes a lot of practice.
With my horrible cutting skills I got where I can fill in a big gap rather nicely.

·
Banned
487 Posts
im kinda self taught, and it kinda shows lol

i use an oooooold arc welder my grandpa once used that we still got here on the farm.. it does the job fine.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah im really thinking I might look for a class this summer. It would be an awsome thing to know how to do going into my SFA.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats what I was kinda thinking, now to see if they offer it in the summer when I can take it...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
Thats what I was kinda thinking, now to see if they offer it in the summer when I can take it...
Another vote for community college here. I started out at TTCN (Tennessee Technology Center Nashville) in the welding shop. I don't know what kind of schedule the schools in TX offer, but here I am in the night program, 5pm-9pm, Monday-Thursday. Tuition is right at $300 a quarter and in all honesty I think its a real bargin. I only ended up staying in the welding class for 3 quarters, then I moved over to the Machine shop and have been there ever since.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I'm cuurently taking welding class in high school, 2 hours of my day are in welding

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wish I had done it in HS, but I couldnt start sr year, and I wasnt into truck jr year when I would have had to start.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts