GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you all started to put 194 LED bulbs into the gauge cluster, I did this with jus red bulbs about a year and a half ago. I also used a sharpie to color ALL of the interior dash lights. Over time It sarted to fade out on some things like my 4x4 buttons. Last night at about 3-4 am I decided to get creative and soldered in some red LEDs with the proper resistors etc.. I got the 4x4 buttons working but the LEDs I had were to dull and wont shine through teh buttons. I AM going to order some brighter ones off of superbrighleds.com and write up a tech article on how to do this on the 4x4 buttons, AC controls, door controls and whatever else there is. Anyone know a place to get cheaper brighter LEDs?

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mixture of boredom, not being tired, cheap vodka and seeing a soldering iron. It did come out good other than the LEDs not being bright enough. It is an issue to make room for the extra resistors though without shorting things or interferenig with buttons.

·
Registered
489 Posts
just a thought since I have not looked at the bulb size but why not use bulb covers from auto meter I know the tach in my CJ8 has a small bulb and I just used the covers to change the color ... the light pattern and output would be the same

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have a source if anyone wants me to get them some when I get mine
There are 3 per pack, and $ 3.50 per pack plus shipping ...pick your color ..... the only thing I was thinking with LEDs is for them to be bright you have to look right at them .... so I am not sure how that would work I hooked up my Esclade cluster tonight and would like the bulbs to be brigther ... so I think I will try some new bulbs too .... for the smaller bulbs in the switchs I thought about glueing the cover to the bulb maybe and cutting the rest off .... a bulb cost what a buck and the color condom a buck and change.... alot cheaper then the leds I have seen,...anyhow let me know if u want some \........... Ken

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how big are they though? These bulbs are like the size of LEDs

·
Registered
489 Posts
DE

when I pulled the back off my cluster there where two size bulbs..... Small and bigger ... if I remember right the will fit the bigger of the two bulbs in the cluster..... I don't know what size bulbs are in the window and other switchs I'll get an extra pack and send it to you if u want .... u can go from there .....

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeath those are waaaay bigger, the bulbs in teh cluster are 194s. The ones behind teh switches and AC are like the size of a single LED

·
Registered
489 Posts
ahhh ok I had that size in the dash of my Datsun 280 ZX

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive got a 280zx sitting in teh garage, I drove it before my truck! heh, ironic

·
Registered
489 Posts
LMAO yes it is those car were fast :rocking:

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I might consider doin sumthin like this on down the road...but i got other things i wanna do first...and don't wanna fuck up my lightin in my guages rt now...cuz i know i will...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts