GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to sas my 01 excsb. full kit should be about 7k from start to finish. Im working in an off road shop after navy work is over and all my paychecks from there are going to the truck. So I have 7 months to get it done before Im out of the navy and leaving for Ohio and my wifes family and civilian life. Need to know what you all think. Dana 60's or rockwell 2 1/2 ton's. Either way its getting about 15 inches and at least 40's and either 488's or 513's. IFS be damned its time to go all out and build something bullit proof. Even considering rear wheel steer but not certain. Gimmie some oppinions!

beach13.gif

·
Bigger, Longer, and UnCut
987 Posts
Would be sick with rear wheel steering.:rock: Nice Looking truck.

·
Registered
999 Posts
for 40s-44s 60/14/ hell, im putting a 60-14 under mine, and only running 36s.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If your building a capable rig why do you want 15"s of lift?
:word: This man knows what he's talkin about... you need it to be smaller than that for a good center of gravity and so it will flex good.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I hopw you got more than 7k to swap it. My toy swap is going to be near 5k. If you want all this stuff your saying get your pocket book prepped to be drained. Listen to kyle too, he knows SAS, shit he did his and is giving ides to othere really interested? To me this is a thought and has not really been researched by yourself. You need to factor in not just cost of axles, but to rebuild them, gear truck, wheels, tires, MISC parts that will break on install. There is alot to think about here. Please enlighten us with your research and thoughts upon this SAS.

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
15" of lift and you are trying to build a wheeling rig?
i find that funny

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said I work for one of my best friends in his shop and the price I have is everything including my price on labor. The axles Im getting are newly rebuilt. I know of at least 4 trucks he has done. I wanted dana's and through his buddies they were more than the rebuilt rockwells. Military steel wheels and Military run flat A/T's are about $350 a corner. There is a spring bender shop around the corner from the shop that will do the springs for about $200 a corner. You see Im not buying the "kit" as a whole from them I'm getting mostly miscelanious parts from them. I can find anything I need cheaper than most. Hell the axles will only run about $2500. Trust me I have researched this very well. The only reason I was looking at 15" was because we have one in the shop and it will cost me about $100. Im looking more towards 9 or 10"s and rear steer. And I will shoot prices on the body lift I have now and the sus lift when they come off!

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
built 60/14 is probably stronger than a stock rockwell.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Well i thought that rock shafts were prett brittle and break if shock loaded. But Rocks are hard to get parts unless you know someone with alot of parts to let you have for maintainence and breakage, 60/14 parts are readily available.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rocks are military axels.... Im in the military..... %90 of my friends are in the miltary. There is a reason I can find almost anything. Rockwell parts are cheaper than you think. You just have to know where to look and you have to have patience. And I never said anything about the axels I plan on getting being stock.

·
4,725 Posts
I believe which axles you go with really depends on many variables. Mainly what type of use you plan on with this truck.
Rockwells will provide very low gearing, strong cheap parts, incredibly strong parts in the aftermarket, great driveshaft angles, but potentially expensive if you want discs. They also limit your practicality with different tire setups. You'd need at LEAST a 44" tire to use rocks on the highway.
Does this include an SYE, hi steer, full hydro rear steer and all parts to complete steering, driveshafts capable, etc?
Another axle you might want to consider is the Unimog 406, 404, 416, or Volvo portals.

I personally went with 60/14 because of parts availability at the Oreillys type stores as well as aftermarket options.
I almost went with Unimogs, but dealing with the very long pinion snout and converting it over to 8 lug and u joint style driveshafts was out of my budget.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
As far as being functional you have to stop and consider what really defines functional for some people. Down where im at wheeling consists of big deep water and mud wholes and sand. not alot of crawling type wheeling around. So for me clearing 40's and being functional is totally doable. But as far as crawlin goes you wont want to put anything more than like 38's....which would be prefectly fine. Its different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
i was sayin that for someone down in my area, big amounts of lift and 40" tires out on a trail would pretty much be classified as functional due to the fact that were pretty much flat land and mud holes around here. But for somewhere else in another area that much lift to clear 40's really might not be functional.

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
so what your saying is, down there hundreds of inches of lift and big tires is good for going to the mall, while those of us that actually wheel know better? :pow:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
no what im sayin is for where my truck will be there are no places for your type of wheeling (i.e crawling, climbing meunuvering (sp?)). All the wheeling me and the majority of guys i know do consists of ponds, water holes, deep ruts, and the occasional creek bottom and sand pits.

Some people think thats jsut fuckin retarded to put your truck through that kind of bullshit but for us that is wheeling.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts