GMC Truck Forum banner

3341 - 3360 of 3369 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thinking real hard about the Borla s type for my 2019 6.2l but wondering what benefit it has over just a simple flow master muffler?

Main desire is a truck that's not loud until you step on it, loud at startup is probably good too so I can hear the remote start actually worked..

So really, is the Borla S Type a waste of money or a true premium sound(forget about stainless, quality, etc).. just sound?

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,439 Posts
Flowmaster chambered mufflers tend to have an awful drone. I’m not sure about their new straight through design though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Thinking real hard about the Borla s type for my 2019 6.2l but wondering what benefit it has over just a simple flow master muffler?

Main desire is a truck that's not loud until you step on it, loud at startup is probably good too so I can hear the remote start actually worked..

So really, is the Borla S Type a waste of money or a true premium sound(forget about stainless, quality, etc).. just sound?
The Borla XR1 will do exactly what you discribed. Quiet until you step on it. Noticeable idle and change, but no drone, and quiet at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks for the reply, wonder what's the real difference between splicing in a XR1, vs the entire cat back they offer?

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
Which would be....

My idea I came up with last night was doing a y pipe into a big magnaflow (6” round, 18” long) then running it out the passenger side with a corsa styled tip.
Should just find DI/SO or DI/DO muffler instead of adding a Y. My old 6.2 had the cats gutted and ran duals with a DI/DO magnaflow and sounded clean but still real throaty if you got on it.

How do your tips exit now?

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,439 Posts
I got them to exit back factory behind the rear tire.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
thanks for the reply, wonder what's the real difference between splicing in a XR1, vs the entire cat back they offer?
I know most new trucks have extra resonators and other parts in the factory car back, that will make it sound funny if you just splice in the muffler. Have no clue on the 19s though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just installed the Borla Touring, dual rear exit system sold by GM dealerships (part # 19303341) on my '18 Sierra Denali 6.2L. Sounds good. Maybe, just maybe, a tad quieter than I would have wanted if I could precisely dictate but I find it acceptable. No drone, nice growl at startup and under load, quiet at cruise. One piece was not manufactured correctly, though, and it's pissing me off. The rearmost pipe on the right side has an insufficient final bend that leaves the tip too low and the hanger bracket not fitting right into the rubber isolater leaving it all contorted. There's really no way to screw up the install. Either the hangers fit into the factory locations and the preformed pipes hang correctly or they do not. This one doesn't. I've already called Borla but so far they haven't responded.

IMG_5764.JPG

IMG_5765.JPG

IMG_5771.JPG

·
n. fil-dert.
6,846 Posts
Just cut the hanger off and weld it on a little lower on the pipe (or bend up a new one) if they won’t help you out.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I just installed the Borla Touring, dual rear exit system sold by GM dealerships (part # 19303341) on my '18 Sierra Denali 6.2L. Sounds good. Maybe, just maybe, a tad quieter than I would have wanted if I could precisely dictate but I find it acceptable. No drone, nice growl at startup and under load, quiet at cruise. One piece was not manufactured correctly, though, and it's pissing me off. The rearmost pipe on the right side has an insufficient final bend that leaves the tip too low and the hanger bracket not fitting right into the rubber isolater leaving it all contorted. There's really no way to screw up the install. Either the hangers fit into the factory locations and the preformed pipes hang correctly or they do not. This one doesn't. I've already called Borla but so far they haven't responded.

View attachment 821569

View attachment 821571

View attachment 821573
I would just go to a local muffler shop and get them both raised up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I bought this thing used off ebay I'd be fine with having a muffler shop dick with it. But I didn't. I paid Borla (via GM) a pile of dough and I want it right.

The left one was able to be positioned an inch below the bumper but the right one will take re-welding the hanger and having the stainless tube properly bent. I have a feeling Borla will make it right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
are you guys finding these Borla Exhaust on sale anywhere?

Wondering if its worth being patient for one of these sites to offer 20% off etc. Ready to pull trigger on Borla S Type but unsure if they ever do go on sale or offered at promo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can someone tell me where and what pipe I need to just delete my muffler? I have a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 crew cab slt all terrain z71. Looks like 3inch pipe, need a piece about 32” long and some kinda bend to make the pipe fit where the muffler was.

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
Can someone tell me where and what pipe I need to just delete my muffler? I have a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 crew cab slt all terrain z71. Looks like 3inch pipe, need a piece about 32” long and some kinda bend to make the pipe fit where the muffler was.
Exhaust shop would take care of this cheap

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
Thank You wasn’t sure if I couldn’t just order one online but thanks
I’m sure you could run to the local auto parts store and pick up some pipe and clamps. Measure how long the muffler is and get the right length pipe and clamp it in.

At least near me, whatever you would pay for all that would be more than what the exhaust shop would charge me. And it would be welded :shrug:

·
Registered
33 Posts
The GM sourced Borla exhaust (GM 19303341) is installed on my '18 6.2L and sounds and looks great. Not cheap, but easy to install and just loud enough for my taste. Anything louder and I would have wished it were quieter. Dual rear exit with rectangular black tips.

·
woo
214 Posts
Anyone have any experience with a Borla or Magnaflow cat back and ARH headers with cats? Ive got the Borla now and the sound level is perfect for me. I'm gonna add the headers soon but I'm worried its going to be too loud.

If its too loud, would I be hurting anything if I added another small muffler in front of the main one?

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,439 Posts
There’s been people on here who’ve added in a small bullet after the main muffler to quiet it down some

3341 - 3360 of 3369 Posts