GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be best to buy new rotors/pads for the front set of brakes or the rear set? Both can get mighty pricey.

OH and my brakes are very mushy and soft..what would help? Stainless steel brake lines?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
could be a number of things...

increased rotating mass with your 20's and tires, possibly air in the lines, SS brake lines seem to give a much fimer pedal, im guessing because they dont give as much as just rubber does, so ti doesnt have a tendency to "expand" when pressure is applied.

I dunno what year your truck is, but have you bled the brakes at all? i do it every 2 years so i dont have to worry about water contamination (brake fluid doesnt like water)

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I use powerslot products and love them stainless brake lines would help alot

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Big wheels = upgrade:imo

:word: on bleeding the brakes every so often, it only takes a few minutes, and brake fluid is cheap.

eBay it :imo.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Denaliano(Matt) Just got a set of OEM take off brake pads or rotors (I don't remember which, for basically $25 shipped to his door off ebay

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had them bled, they're still mushy :imo:

My main question is...would it be better to upgrade my front brakes or my rear brakes?

·
In memoriam...
3,860 Posts
Front definately. The fronts do something like 70-75% of the braking. Maybe even more on a P/U.

That's why folks usually have to change front pads 2-3x for each rear pad change.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Front definately. The fronts do something like 70-75% of the braking. Maybe even more on a P/U.

That's why folks usually have to change front pads 2-3x for each rear pad change.
Thanks! I'll prolly do that then.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
'05+ (or when GM went back to rear drums) have larger front rotors. You'll need new caliper brackets to utilize those.

Pick up the Suburban/Tahoe rear calipers, rotors, pads. More surface area and twin piston out back

Stainless lines.

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
'05+ (or when GM went back to rear drums) have larger front rotors. You'll need new caliper brackets to utilize those.

Pick up the Suburban/Tahoe rear calipers, rotors, pads. More surface area and twin piston out back
these 05+ rotors, what size rims do you need to run those? Anybody done on 05 front brake swap on the 99-04 trucks? I might need to upgrade my fronts! :hmm:

Word on the rear Suburban/Tahoe calipers. I have them sitting in the shop awaiting installation on my truck. I have a pic with a side-by-side of the twin and single piston calipers. Once I find it I'll post it up. :shake:

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I like the fact Ive got almost 81k on my truck and I STILL have plenty of pads left
my dads got like 130K miles on his silvy and its still got lots of pad left too. its good stuff from the factory.

03 or 04+ fords are metal to metal in 30K...

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Here we go :shake:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
these 05+ rotors, what size rims do you need to run those? Anybody done on 05 front brake swap on the 99-04 trucks? I might need to upgrade my fronts! :hmm:

Word on the rear Suburban/Tahoe calipers. I have them sitting in the shop awaiting installation on my truck. I have a pic with a side-by-side of the twin and single piston calipers. Once I find it I'll post it up. :shake:

17" or more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts