GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start, no I did not search. I suck, I know.

Generally speaking, what would be the easiest way to get a straight axle under the front of my truck? 1998 Tahoe 2door. I have no fabrication skills whatsoever, 13 year old females could probably weld better than I. Not that I even own a welder in the first place.

Who sells kits? What would be the deal with steering? Keeping the same steering box possible? Transfer case issues? I currently have an Autotrac push button transfer case, drivers side drop. Not sure on the code for this t-case I was never savvy on all that.

What axle would be my best bet? a D60 would be a waste to put under my truck, I don't want to offroad the truck and would rather see the axle that everyone wants under a truck that would be put to use than under mine. Would be a smart idea to ditch the old 10 bolt out back as well, correct? 14FF would be nice, I plan on putting power through the driveline. Front axle will have to 8 lug as well.

Despite the fact that I work on cars for a living, I really know jack shit when it comes to axles, drivelines, setting up suspensions. Any help, constructive criticism and shit talk on asking such general questions is greatly welcome and will be appreciated.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Why?

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pulling the truck off the road and buying a more practical vehicle (CTS). I'd like to finally build my truck how I really want it. Big(ger), powerful, flawless body work, redone interior. Sick and tired of patching problems as they come, it never ends. I've been daily driving the Hoe 60 miles a day as it sits right now for a year, and when it was on the 36s for a year and a half before. Time to start with a clean slate.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
So why not get a big bolt on IFS kit if its not daily driven?

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
So why not get a big bolt on IFS kit if its not daily driven?
Word.... but buy a new kit... I've learned the hard way :crazy:

Honestly though, the practicality is not there it seems. You want BIG....IFS can get BIG. SAS would cost a shit load of money, considering it sounds like a shop is going to need to do it for you. Looks at spending a MINIMUM of 8k...no labor included in that price. That's what I got my parts list up to and it wasn't even finished yet. If its not done right, you risk the chance of continually fixing something over and over. Fuck, look at poor Luis. He wishes he kept the IFS because he's run into so many problems with the SAS.

·
Respect mah authoritah!
11,153 Posts
Word, how much bigger could u possibly want to go?

·
4,725 Posts
offroad unlimited is your only real option for a bolt(drill) on front spring hanger set. If you just want to throw a D44 on it, you'd be in reasonable financial shape compared to a big IFS kit. The SAS's go up beyond 6 and 7 grand when you are talking going fully 1 ton, SYE, locked, etc.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
I never knew he was mexican :think: :crazy:

But :word: to what these guys are saying....put a 12" FTS kit on it, keep your 38's and call it a day :D:D
:bird: I'm in SLO...:crazy:

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
offroad unlimited is your only real option for a bolt(drill) on front spring hanger set. If you just want to throw a D44 on it, you'd be in reasonable financial shape compared to a big IFS kit. The SAS's go up beyond 6 and 7 grand when you are talking going fully 1 ton, SYE, locked, etc.
I take back what I said about you and plaid shorts Lindsay :crazy: But yeah this is what I'm talking about. I don't want a locked front diff. I want to clear 40s, possibly 42s, and no factory IFS should have to go through that.

Who even makes a big kit for the GMT-400 trucks anymore? I know Cognito doesn't, and I've never been a fan of FTS's subframe design.

ORU is a reputable company?

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only got the Cepek because its a full 6.5 drop kit, and its beefy :crazy:

·
4,725 Posts
ORU is expensive and they talk down to their customers... BUT the product does work... whatever works I guess. A big IFS lift would certainly be easier install and less of a headache to make work, but it really just depends.
Basically, one example would be the ORU hangers, front 73-87 8" lift skyjacker springs, whatever shocks, ford shock towers, half ton front driveshaft, jb conversions SYE kit, 6" rear springs, drop pitman arm, shackle flip, and any converting axle pieces (flat tops, hubs, etc or whatever you may need)

·
GMFS MoPar/Air Force Crew
5,457 Posts
I am so proud of you right now :) Fuck the haters, SFA is the shit. It's how trucks were meant to be :read:

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
and another. zero fab skills makes this a son of a bitch. an axle doesnt just bolt up. lots of measuring. lots of cussing and lots of blood. weld in shock tabs and such drill a hundred holes. with a good kit it isnt that bad but zero fab skills really puts you way behind the game

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can drill. I just have no experience when it comes to welding and metal work.

Worse comes to worse I can mock up parts I may need using cardboard, I know how to measure. And then have someone who can weld and cut metal, I have friends that do, make the piece for me and weld them on.

This isn't something I expect to take as much time as it was to put my lift kit on. I don't plan on driving the truck until at least two years from now. I don't think it will take a weekend to throw together like my BL. I understand this will be a time consuming project.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
It took us one whole day to dissassemble the front end cut off all the shit u don't need anymore grind it smooth and get it under coated. That was two guys with moderate fab skills

1 - 20 of 91 Posts