GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Jason you will be missed
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is out here for a levelinkg kit for the 2wd. my truck is a 03 with coils. i thought about daystar but it is only about a 2 inch lift. what else is out there. i am looking for something that is just mild .no full lift kit. also what would be a good size tire to run on it with 2-3 inches of lift. i have 20's know but am thinkg of ditching them to get some 17's. any suggestions, or pics appreciated.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Coil-spacers are really your only option to "level" the front with the back. 2" will level it out perfect with the rear. I think a 285 on a 17" rim would be a good tire size to run.

The next step up above 2" coil spacers are spindle lifts. But the cost jumps up a lot. They make spindles in the 3-4" range, and I doubt you'll find any cheaper than $480. Coil spacers are like in the $60-$110 range I think.

·
Jason you will be missed
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinking about the spidle lift also but was going to try to stay away from that for now. what is the standard size for a 285? 32-33?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Do the spacers eventually start to sag after a while?

What additional wear will the spacers be putting on any parts, if any?

Anything else important to know?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Bayfront Bachelor said:
Do the spacers eventually start to sag after a while?
The spacers are made out of a hardened polyurethane material. The spacers don't sag. However, the stock coil springs of any truck will sag over time. Coil spacers seem to increase the amount they sag over time.

Bayfront Bachelor said:
What additional wear will the spacers be putting on any parts, if any?
It's equivalent to cranking the torsion bars on a 4x4, if you're familiar with that. Basically, your steering and suspension geometry is "pushed" down about 2" vs. stock specs. So, your steering and suspension angles are going to be about 2" steeper than stock. It will increase wear on your upper ball joint and on your tie rod ends, but nothing substantial. Just perform proper maintenance on your truck, and they'll be fine.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
so is it better to use a leveling kit or just crank the torsion bar ?
I think I confused you.. most 2wd trucks have coil springs instead of torsion bars. Torsion bars are usually a 4wd thing. I think a few of the 2wd '05 and '06 trucks came with torsion bars, but most of the 88-07 2wd trucks use coil springs.

I was just comparing the "negative effects" of a coil-spacer on a 2wd with the negative effects of cranking the torsion bars on a 4wd.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Its best to use a 3" spindle and keep stock angles on the tie-rods and ball joints. Just my opinion.
Definetly. I think it's a cost issue though. Most people would rather spend $120 on a spacer than $400-$500 on a spindle.

However, spindles are definetly the way to go when lifting or dropping a truck. They keep stock angles and keep the stock ride quality.

·
Jason you will be missed
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
would it be feasible to combine a 2" coil spacer and a 3" spindle? just wondering if it would work if i decide to go bigger in the future if i could combine the 2?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
http://www.cstsuspension.com/products/sfID1/7/sfID2/8/sfID3/31/productID/97

Any idea how much this costs? Could you leave out the 2" rear lift blocks in this kit to level it out?
A 2" rear block would level it out. :think: This kit would give you 4" of lift in the front and 2" in the rear. If you left the block out, you'd be 2" higher in the front... unless that's the look you're going for.

The spindles by themselves are $699 from socalsupertrucks. Check out Rough Country, Fabtech, or Full Force Suspension for cheaper spindles. CST is top of the line and expensive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts