GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to site and had a question about the leveling kit. I have a 02 GMC2500HD with 265-70-17 tires. I bought the truck like this and it seems the previous owner cranked the torsion bars. Now the front tires sit at an angle (top of tire in). Can I use the leveling kit and turn the bars back to the factory setting or are there other problems I don't know about? Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
A leveling kit would take your truck from stock height to where it sits now(bars cranked). So what you need is an alignment. If you like the ride and the way the truck sits(height of the front) now, then just take it down and have it aligned. If the ride is extremely harsh and you want to lower the front a bit(most guys would probably keep it the way you have now), then de-crank your bars, then get it aligned.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Thats all a leveling kit does, allows you to crank bars. Go align the truck if tires are off camber. that should solve the problem is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the truck to the local tire shop and they told me the only way they could fix the problem is to de-crank the bars?? Now I'm really confused:endofshow

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I took the truck to the local tire shop and they told me the only way they could fix the problem is to de-crank the bars?? Now I'm really confused:endofshow
This doesn't make sense to me. When I cranked my bars, I took it and got it aligned for $60 bucks. No problems whatsoever, and I believe tons of guys on this forum have done the same thing. Did they give you an approximate amount in regards to how far they said it was "necessary" to de-crank? If you don't want to de-crank, maybe try another shop? :shrug:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They didn't say how much exactly, but they said my tires wouldn't fit amymore. I figured somebody on here would have had the same problem if it was common. I'll take it down in a couple days to a different shop and see what they say. I thought they were a reputable company, but maybe they are dumber that me LOL

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
There is only so much room for adjustment on these rigs. Yes its is possible to have to de crank a bit. Depends how pissed the guy was lol. alignening can be a PITA when there isnt much room to get it right, because cranking gets away from specs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So whould adding a leveling kit get me back closer to stock and still allow the rims and tires I have???

·
cracker ass fantastic
616 Posts
no leveling kits (keys) only allow you to load your bars more so it will make your problem worse. but the alignment guy should be able to get it pretty close. ive got keys and my camber is alright. you have aftermarket wheels? if so they will have to do a plate alignment it will cost a little more.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
So whould adding a leveling kit get me back closer to stock and still allow the rims and tires I have???
No, the leveling kit just swaps out the torsion bar keys. The tooth on the key is indexed differently, so your bolts have more thread left to crank higher. It doesn't affect anything on the alignment side of the equation... if anything, adding a key will make it every harder to align, because you'll be able to crank even higher.

If I were you, I'd take it to a different shop. If they tell you the same thing, crank down like 1/2" to 1" and take it back to have them align it. So what if you have to trim a tad.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Someone will correct me if Im wrong, but I know proper leveling kits like the Cognito leveling kit comes with the new tubular UCA, for one, correct poor ball joint angle, and to allow for easier alignment, since its a bit longer, and designed to run at a steeper angle. Thats why you can stretch their lifts and extra 2 inches. As for harsh ride, isnt that more of a cause of the shocks being too short or hitting the droop bumpstops on suspension down travel.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
You're correct, but I wouldn't spend $450 on a leveling kit. I'd rather get a real kit or just crank down 1/2" to make it alignable.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the off-road unlimited leveling kit that comes with the bilstein front shocks and have no problems with the angle of my tires. I would recommend this kit, my 285/70/R17 Mud tires fit fine. The kit costs about $260. Having a leveling kit instead of just crankin the bars will also give you a lot smoother ride.

·
cracker ass fantastic
616 Posts
browning, all your kit is shocks and keys right? you can crank a 1500 a lot more than a 2500 cause of the position of the bumpstops

·
Registered
88 Posts
ya thats all it is, but if you dont replace the shocks with longer shocks then you will get a lot stiffer ride. i didnt know u could crank a 1500 up higher, but that shouldnt matter if u get a leveling kit. He only wants to keep the 265's on there. Off-Road unlimited does make a 2500 kit as well

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will look into that kit, thanks for all the info. I would love to keep the rims and tires I have now, but if I can't get it to ride right and not ruin the tires I'll just find some stock rims and tires and go that way. I'm not wanting to spend tons of money on something I rarely drive.

·
cracker ass fantastic
616 Posts
i wouldnt get the kit from oru i got mine from there and the bilsteins they sent me were too short for how high i wanted to go, and that was before i knew factory 1500 keys would lift a 2500 i have some ranchos for a 79 f150 with a 2" lift on mine they work fine

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Those keys dont do shit.....you get the same affect out of crankin your bars alot as you do by jsut swappen keys. no tellin ho many times i told friends that and they insisted that the shop owner who sold them the dman things says that it wont hurt your CV angles or ball joints. Guess im jsut a dambass though and dont know what im talkin bout.

·
Registered
88 Posts
well even if you dont believe that crankin the bars doesn't harm the cv joints, it still stretches out the stock shocks which makes a rougher ride

·
Registered
54 Posts
Those keys dont do shit.....you get the same affect out of crankin your bars alot as you do by jsut swappen keys. no tellin ho many times i told friends that and they insisted that the shop owner who sold them the dman things says that it wont hurt your CV angles or ball joints. Guess im jsut a dambass though and dont know what im talkin bout.
Hes right.

Just replace the shocks. Any higher than the stock keys will get you and your ride will suck. The only way to get the ride back is to change the upper arm.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts