GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm at the point where I have done a lot of research, but just can't quit find the answers I'm looking for so I have come to y'all.

I own a 2004 silverado 1500 4x4 extended cab.

Anyways I bought the rough country full leveling kit to install since I'm rebuilding my front end anyway. And I'm also at the point of needing new tires and the rims I have look bad so I'll be getting those to.

I've found people say I can crank my stock keys to fit 285/75R16 and some even saying if you crank aftermarket leveling keys you can squeeze a 315/75R16 in there....
Problem is I cant get my old keys out because they are so stuck!

But I'm looking at running either a 295/75R16 nitto trail grappler or a 305/75R16 nitto mud grappler. Either way with stock keys cranked can I fit either of those? And longer shocks. I also plain on adding a n-fat front bumper so bumper clearance won't be a problem

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And also what backspacing/offset would I need for a 16x8 rim? I'm looking at American Outlaw Buckshot rims

·
Registered
332 Posts
You might want to stick with the 295/75r16 with just a level. That is a 33" tire and you can fit it but will require some trimming and probably will still rub a little. The 305/75r16 will rub a lot even with trim. And I wouldn't run a 12" wide tire on an 8" rim :imo

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will I be fine with a 16x8 for a 295? Or should I get a 16x10? Would I have clearance issues then??

·
Registered
332 Posts
the 295 is like 11.5 or so wide. I think it will be ok. I have seen it done. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in. With a 10" wide I don't think you will have issues, but if you buy new rims you should go larger than 16" :imo

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't mind 18s but the tires go up in price as rim size goes up plus I can only find mud grapplers for 16" rims so far... but I've found 17x9 rims that I like if the 16x8 is too narrow. Or do I still need wider?

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts
In my 2004 I had a rough country level kit that came with the bigger blocks in the back and was able to clear bfg 285/65r18 (32.7"×11.5") on a 18x9 wheels with factory offset no problems and no trimming

My keys were a pain to get out too, it took my Dad and I 4 hours just to do the front haha

·
Registered
332 Posts
You will be fine running a x9 rim. Will mean less chance of rub also. I have 17x10 on mine and no rub issue with my setup. I was just saying that if you have to buy new rims you should get at least a 17". I want to run 20's but I do a lot of snow wheeling and mountain backroads so having a tall sidewall is necessary so I can air down to 8psi and not ding a rim.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've got 295/75/r16 bfgs ats on stock rims with stock keys cranked on mine. Rubbed a little on the plastic fender liner. Did a little trim and now its good. with a full leveling kit you'll fit fine with some aftermarket rims.

Posted from Gmfullsize.com App for Android

·
Registered
57 Posts
8" wide is more than enough for a 295, any wider and you may have some minor fender well trimming. Stick with factory offset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had trouble getting my keys out, too. The problem is that when you hit the torsion bar to drive it forward the crossmember the keys ride in is rubber mounted. So you lose all your initial force when you hit it. I cut a piece of metal to wedge between that crossmember and the one in front of it which is solid mounted. About 16 3/4" if I remember correctly. After I did that the keys were out in ten minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts